What's new

Scribe SOLVED - Is there a way to send logs to a remote server?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Ripshod

Very Senior Member
As above. Most of my devices are set up already and my router (as per the siggie) will be the last device. For now I've removed Scribe to get it working, but is it even possible to have the two working side-by-side with the original system log (unfiltered by Scribe) going to the syslog server and being processed by Scribe?
There isn't a need, just a curiosity/desire. The option to just not use Scribe is currently at the top of my list.

You can do it one of two ways. You can uninstall scribe and use the webgui setting to send logs to a remote server. I use this on a mesh node and my travel routers to send logs to my AX88.

Or, you can install scribe, and define the remote server as a destination, and then a log statement to send everything to the remote server. I use this on another router because I want to screen out stuff first before I send it to the remote server.

Brilliant, thank you. I was worried it wouldn't work or would mess up my router, but it's as simple as uncommenting a couple of lines in the scribe config. Stuck with the filtered output to get logs without the clutter.
Solved.

*edit* Made a few changes so all logs are now going from scribe to the syslog server - I'm applying filters there.
This was so easy.

Last edited:
While you are at this, and I'm not sure what your syslog server is, are you seeing some strangeness in the time stamps?

I'm pulling syslog-ng messages from other devices into my ax88, and from some of them I get two time stamps, and I can't figure out how to strip them out.

While you are at this, and I'm not sure what your syslog server is, are you seeing some strangeness in the time stamps?
Nothing abnormal here, but I'm using ntpMerlin on the router so everything stays synced. I'll be moving the ntp server onto the server in due course. The syslog server is webmin on a repurposed thin client.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!