What's new

[SOLVED] My ISP just upgraded my internet but still capped @ 100MBPS

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Phoenix

Regular Contributor
So today I ran a speed test and noticed my upload speed is 50 MBPS instead of the usual 20 MBPS which I had.

I immediately went to my ISP's website and checked the packages and it seems that my package has been upgraded for free from 100MBPS down/20MBPS up to 250MBPS Down/50MBPS up

The download speed is still showing what it used to before though, always capped at 94.5MBPS

I tried resetting the router to default and resetting it up but to no avail.

It is connected to some white modem provided by my ISP which I also rebooted but still no luck.

I have the router connected to that white box using a CAT6 cable (brand new) and it is connected to the Internet Port on the router.

I did log a complain with my ISP to have someone come and check what's going on but it's really puzzling why my upload speed upgraded did take place but not the download speed.

So what router model do you have?
What ISP modem model and Mfr do you have? Built in router with the modem?
How are you speed testing? Speedtest using built in to router or PC and web browser? I recommend using PC and web browser first before any built in router speedtest app.

So what router model do you have?
What ISP modem model and Mfr do you have? Built in router with the modem?
How are you speed testing? Speedtest using built in to router or PC and web browser? I recommend using PC and web browser first before any built in router speedtest app.
Router = Nighthawk X10
ISP Modem = I will check that later and post it but it's like 2 years old whitebox, more details soon
Speed testing using speedtest.net and it is choosing the Dubai Server where I am at so that's right, testing from my laptop which has the Intel AC9260 with the latest Intel Wireless-AC 9260 Driver 20.100.0.4 and I am connected to the 5GHz band and made sure that the password for Wireless is AES

Could be a provisioning issue on the ISP side. You could try turning the modem on and off again after a day or so or call them. On rare occasions Ookla Speed Test does go though certain routes that are slower but I doubt that’s the issue.

Side note: Try to use DSL Reports Speed Test, it’s more thorough and covers things like bufferbloat and both active and idle latency.

Last edited:
Not familiar with the Netgear code, but if it has QoS, make sure you updated the bandwidth limits.

Not familiar with the Netgear code, but if it has QoS, make sure you updated the bandwidth limits.
Netgear Nighthawk X10 = R9000

QoS is disabled

Update: I just connected my laptop directly to the router via the LAN Cable and still got the same speeds so I guess it's not the router it might probably be that old White box which my router is getting the internet from as it looks ancient it doesn't even have a model number on it that I can give you just my ISP's brand image so I'll just wait for the technician to come tomorrow and update y'all later as to what was the resolution.

For trouble shooting purposes try connecting your laptop to the ISP's modem with an Ethernet cable. If your laptop doesn't have a gig ethernet port spend the US$ 10 - $20 for a gagabit USB/Ethernet adapter.

By doing this you should be able to more quickly determine if it is a modem problem including provisioning or a WiFi issue with your router.

For trouble shooting purposes try connecting your laptop to the ISP's modem with an Ethernet cable. If your laptop doesn't have a gig ethernet port spend the US$ 10 - $20 for a gagabit USB/Ethernet adapter.

By doing this you should be able to more quickly determine if it is a modem problem including provisioning or a WiFi issue with your router.
I did that but the LAN Connection said Connected: No Internet

I guess the router is able to get internet because it's configured with the proper username/pass

I'll just wait for the technician to come tomorrow and see what he has to say

Hook your PC directly to the modem and see what you get there...

as @john9527 mentioned, this is typically a QoS limiter configuration... been there myself when I bumped up my account from 5/50 to 10/150, and didn't change my pfSense QoS config - sure enough, bandwidth didn't change, but the connection quality was awesome :D

Lastly if you have a 8x4 (Downlink/Uplink) Channel Docsis 3.0 modem though theoretically it would support download speeds of ~343 Mbps some ISPs like TWC would not provision higher than 100 Mbps Down on 8x4 modems in order to balance the load across channels. If your ISP tells you that it’s due to this issue then buy a 16x4 or above Docsis 3.0 modem or a Docsis 3.1 modem.

Last edited:
Could be your modem but the ISP shoulda checked to see if your equipment was up to speed. If they didn't that's a lousy ISP. When I've jumped performance tiers there's a lag until the new higher speeds work through the system to provision my modem. Usually about 4 hours but have been told it can take up to 24.

I just went back to 300 from gigablast. Gigablast not worth it. Funny how that happened INSTANTLY......

Problem fixed guys. The issue was that main white modem from the ISP which I had was like 5 years old and only supported speed up to 100MBPS so they just put a new box which supports up to 1gbps and now I'm getting the full speed of 250mbps down!

Thanks a lot to everyone who posted.

Ya, older modems don't support higher ISP speeds. Glad the new model works now. Enjoy.
;)
Problem fixed guys. The issue was that main white modem from the ISP which I had was like 5 years old and only supported speed up to 100MBPS so they just put a new box which supports up to 1gbps and now I'm getting the full speed of 250mbps down!

Thanks a lot to everyone who posted.

That’s great but ISP should never have updated anything until they pinged your equipment. They should have already known what modem you had and it needed to be updated.

That’s great but ISP should never have updated anything until they pinged your equipment. They should have already known what modem you had and it needed to be updated.
Yeah what's sad is neither the customer service agent on the phone nor the 2nd tier tech support who called me and made e waste 20 mins testing stuff and rebooting my router ever thought about this. it's the main freakin' thing, they quickly waned to put the blame on me that I wasn't using one of their high end routers, LOL they call the D-Link 853 the high end router

Anyway, so glad I got this free upgrade, here are the results:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!