What's new

[solved] spin idle time

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

amplatfus

Hi,

With firmware 380.63_2 on AC88U spin down seems to not working accurate. I have 32400 (9 hours) as value set in Disk spindown idle time (in seconds) field.

But after few minutes the HDD spins down and I do not know why it does this so early.
I have done even factory reset but it still happens. Even I have set 0 in the idle time. I mention that I have been using same HDD on older Optware and at that time HDD never spin down.

Could you please confirm if spin down timer works OK or it has known errors?
It is a USB 2.0 HDD formated as EXT3. I have also swap file active on it with Entware-NG.

Thank you in advance,
amplatfus

Last edited:
I have tried sd-idle config from terminal. Same result.
Code:
sd-idle-2.6 -d a -i 10800
I even set to 0 the Disk spindown idle time and checked all drivers to be excluded from spin down. So, with settings like in picture attached I have the same results: HDD spinning down after ~15 minutes of idle time. I am still searching and update here is found something.

Please post if you have any ideas how can I change idle time.

All the best,
amplatfus

Attachments

• spin.png
    spin.png
    100.3 KB · Views: 688
I discovered that I have a process (disk_monitor) in syslog.
Code:
Nov 30 23:00:35 disk_monitor: Got SIGALRM...
PS: I have found from a @RMerlin post here...
Code:
disk_monitor is the service that handles scheduled filesystem scans. SIGALRM is the signal the process receives when it has a scheduled event occurring, which tells it to wake up, and process any scheduled event if there's a disk present before going back into sleep.
I do not have any idea. Please share your thoughts.

Thank you so much,
amplatfus

FYI. I have Seagate USB HDD's and I can set spin down with Seagate dashboard in HD firmare.

Hi,

[solved] It was from HDD firmware.

I have also Seagate and after I downloaded the SeagateDriveSettings.EXE from here I discovered that the HDD had the timer to spin down in firmware to 15 minutes. I changed the value to never. After this I set up from Asus-Merlin interface the value.
Asus-Merlin-Tools-Other-Settings.png

Here is the sd-idle process running:
sd-idle-2.6.png

And finally it worked:
Code:
Aug  1 03:00:15 sd-idle-2.6[460]: initialized
Dec  1 12:11:53 sd-idle-2.6[460]: spinning down /dev/sda
Dec  1 12:26:25 sd-idle-2.6[460]: spinning up /dev/sda after 14 mins 32 secs
Dec  1 12:54:55 sd-idle-2.6[460]: spinning down /dev/sda after 28 mins 30 secs

Hope that will help many people too,

Thank you,
amplatfus

Last edited:
Hi,

[solved] It was from HDD firmware.

I have also Seagate and after I downloaded the SeagateDriveSettings.EXE from here I discovered that the HDD had the timer to spin down in firmware to 15 minutes. I changed the value to never. After this I set up from Asus-Merlin interface the value.
View attachment 7893

Here is the sd-idle process running:
View attachment 7892

And finally it worked:
Code:
Aug  1 03:00:15 sd-idle-2.6[460]: initialized
Dec  1 12:11:53 sd-idle-2.6[460]: spinning down /dev/sda
Dec  1 12:26:25 sd-idle-2.6[460]: spinning up /dev/sda after 14 mins 32 secs
Dec  1 12:54:55 sd-idle-2.6[460]: spinning down /dev/sda after 28 mins 30 secs

Hope that will help many people too,

Thank you,
amplatfus
Glad it worked out for you. Actually, I use the Seagate Dashboard, and set spin down time there directly, no need to edit the code.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 567
Glad it worked out for you. Actually, I use the Seagate Dashboard, and set spin down time there directly, no need to edit the code.
I also used the SeagateDriveSettings.EXE, not a code. I put only the checks I did in Asus-Merlin after the modification to see that is working.

Thank you!

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!