What's new

[Solved] Spotify + AB-solution = limited functionality

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

M

MarCoMLXXV

I found out that Spotify no longer works on any of my devices. Searching the forum I found this and crawling the rest of the internet if found this.

Just another update... I believe I have found my problem. I was only allowing for outbound traffic to Spotify, which prevented users on the Windows application from signin on. Everything worked once I opened up inbound traffic from the three IP address ranges (78.31.8.0/21, 193.182.8.0/21, and 194.68.28.0/22) on the same port (TCP 4070).

From what I've understand, I should withlist the CIDR's below and open port 4070 for in- and outbound TCP traffic (please do correct me if I'm wrong). Bit confused there as with my previous (Netgear) routers, which I used as long as Spotify exists, never ever had to specifically open any ports for Spotify. I'm a premium user and besides all the mobile devices even the Denon AVR (which supports streaming from Spotify Premium internally, which is mainly why I'm a Premium user, always worked flawlessly without adjustments on the router).

The whitelist part, I get that, allthough I believe AB-solution can't whitelist enter CIDR's, but opening port 4070 makes me hesitant (and is beyond my knowledge anyway). Can anyone help me out, please?

Edit:
Oh, completely forget to mention: it does stream, under certain circumstances. If I open the app, I get an error 'Something isn't right, check your internet connection', but I when I go to my history, previously played songs can be streamed. It's the main page where the app opens and search function that don't work...

Update: Solved! See this post for details: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/s...tion-limited-functionality.39732/#post-331678

Last edited by a moderator:
I found out that Spotify no longer works on any of my devices. Searching the forum I found this and crawling the rest of the internet if found this.

From what I've understand, I should withlist the CIDR's below and open port 4070 for in- and outbound TCP traffic (please do correct me if I'm wrong). Bit confused there as with my previous (Netgear) routers, which I used as long as Spotify exists, never ever had to specifically open any ports for Spotify. I'm a premium user and besides all the mobile devices even the Denon AVR (which supports streaming from Spotify Premium internally, which is mainly why I'm a Premium user, always worked flawlessly without adjustments on the router).

The whitelist part, I get that, allthough I believe AB-solution can't whitelist enter CIDR's, but opening port 4070 makes me hesitant (and is beyond my knowledge anyway). Can anyone help me out, please?

You can either rule my script in or out via temporarily disabling it then seeing if it works.

Code:
sh /jffs/scripts/firewall disable

If skynet is the cause you can then use the guide in the thread to find and whitelist any incorrectly banned IP.

Just to make sure, I'm not pointing any fingers here, just looking for a solution ;)

With
Code:
Spotify still can't be contacted.

However, the thread on the forum I linked above, in my first post, mentions AB-solution too, so I think it's a bit more complicated, at least it seems so to me. I know how to check for IP's in Skynet, but can I check for entire CIDR's too? Otherwise this is gonna be loads of work...

Oh, completely forget to mention: it does stream, under certain circumstances. If I open the app, I get an error 'Something isn't right, check your internet connection', but I when I go to my history, previously played songs can be streamed. It's the main page where the app opens and search function that don't work...

Just to make sure, I'm not pointing any fingers here, just looking for a solution ;)

With
Code:
Spotify still can't be contacted.

However, the thread on the forum I linked above, in my first post, mentions AB-solution too, so I think it's a bit more complicated, at least it seems so to me. I know how to check for IP's in Skynet, but can I check for entire CIDR's too? Otherwise this is gonna be loads of work...

I mean if Skynet is the cause the logs will make it fairly obvious (you will see a flood of blocks from the same IP in a short timespan)

You can test if a CIDR is banned via -

Code:
ipset test BlockedRanges 78.31.8.0/24

If you believe AB-Solution may be the cause, you can use a similar debugging method, the following in SSH will disable it completely;

AB-Solution > "a" > "1"

If AB-Solution is the cause, you can then re-enable it and use the follow command to see whats being blocked and whitelist it accordingly;

AB-Solution > "f" > "2"

I already checked for a flood of IP's, but nothing particular that drew my attention, allthough I did noticed yesterday that Skynet suddenly reported over 1000 outgoing connections blocked. Now I also in the middle of the process of enforcing new parental control here, so I thougt that was what caused it and didn't look any further into it.

Thanks for the starting point, will start later today and report back. Can't imagine I'm the only one having issues with Spotify, using one the many scripts available here...

Problem seems solved, AB-solution (with the AB-Maximum blocking file) was blocking the server

Code:
spclient.wg.spotify.com

which seems to have limited the functionality (main screen not loading, search funtion not working).

I used the 'follow logfile' option that AB-solution provides, minimized as much network traffic as I possibly could, started tailing the logfile with the [f] command, followed by option 1 - unfiltered log, and launched the Spotify iOS app. Server requests redirected to pixelserv-tls will show up highlighted in green (verbosity option 2 would have probably done fine too, it's not completely filtered, it apparently shows only redirects to the pixelserv-tls). Tailing the log showed several highlighted lines within seconds, so I stopped the tail with CTRL-C.

Four redirected requests originated from my iPad and where highlighted. I only had to whitelist the server mentioned aboved (I assume the others:

Code:
secure-us.imrworldwide.com
udm.scorecardresearch.com
sb.scorecardresearch.com

are for telemetry or other purposes), as the app has it's full functionality again, as far as I can see now.

TL;DR: if you're using AB-solution ( with AB-Maximum or possibly one of the other predefined files or a custom blocking file), whitelist

Code:
spclient.wg.spotify.com

if experiencing troubles with Spotify, by entering 'el' in the AB-solution main screen, followed by 1 - edit whitelist, followed by 1 - add domain and when prompted copy and past the server above and press enter. AB-solution will ask you for confirmation whether you wish to whitelist it. Don't forget to process the whitelist with option number 3 when returning to the previous menu. After processing Spotify should be fully functional again.

One warning: I noticed that entering just 'spotify.com' when asked for a domain to whitelist gives no exact match, but lots of 'similar hits', which mostly look like garbage, domains just ending at *spotify.com, which are probably used for other non-desirable purposes, so do not whitelist them. By whitelisting just the server mentioned above, everything works again as expected. At least, for me it did, I hope someone else finds this useful too.

Problem seems solved, AB-solution (with the AB-Maximum blocking file) was blocking the server

Code:
spclient.wg.spotify.com

which seems to have limited the functionality (main screen not loading, search funtion not working).

I used the 'follow logfile' option that AB-solution provides, minimized as much network traffic as I possibly could, started tailing the logfile with the [f] command, followed by option 1 - unfiltered log, and launched the Spotify iOS app. Server requests redirected to pixelserv-tls will show up highlighted in green (verbosity option 2 would have probably done fine too, it's not completely filtered, it apparently shows only redirects to the pixelserv-tls). Tailing the log showed several highlighted lines within seconds, so I stopped the tail with CTRL-C.

Four redirected requests originated from my iPad and where highlighted. I only had to whitelist the server mentioned aboved (I assume the others:

Code:
secure-us.imrworldwide.com
udm.scorecardresearch.com
sb.scorecardresearch.com

are for telemetry or other purposes), as the app has it's full functionality again, as far as I can see now.

TL;DR: if you're using AB-solution ( with AB-Maximum or possibly one of the other predefined files or a custom blocking file), whitelist

Code:
spclient.wg.spotify.com

if experiencing troubles with Spotify, by entering 'el' in the AB-solution main screen, followed by 1 - edit whitelist, followed by 1 - add domain and when prompted copy and past the server above and press enter. AB-solution will ask you for confirmation whether you wish to whitelist it. Don't forget to process the whitelist with option number 3 when returning to the previous menu. After processing Spotify should be fully functional again.

One warning: I noticed that entering just 'spotify.com' when asked for a domain to whitelist gives no exact match, but lots of 'similar hits', which mostly look like garbage, domains just ending at *spotify.com, which are probably used for other non-desirable purposes, so do not whitelist them. By whitelisting just the server mentioned above, everything works again as expected. At least, for me it did, I hope someone else finds this useful too.
When presenting the blocking file lists, the text for AB-Maximun states (in red, I think) to be prepared to do some whitelisting. Just stating the obvious.

When presenting the blocking file lists, the text for AB-Maximun states (in red, I think) to be prepared to do some whitelisting. Just stating the obvious.

Fully aware of that :rolleyes: Guess I just wasn't expecting one of the main servers of Spotify, responsible for the main page and the search function, being in one of the blocking files... Nevertheless, it was an... let's say... educational experience ;)

I had the same issue today and added whitelist all domains to AB-Solution not worked. I'm also using skynet and disabled just to try.

now both spotfiy and skynet not working :)

Code:
Skynet Version: v5.0.0 (24/06/2017)
iptables v1.4.14 - (eth0)
ipset v6.32, protocol version: 6
FW Version: 380.67_beta1 (Jun 24 2017)
Install Dir; /tmp/mnt/entware/skynet (1.9G Space Available)
Boot Args; /jffs/scripts/firewall start debug banmalware autoupdate usb=/tmp/mnt/entware
Install Dir Writeable
Startup Entry Detected
Cronjobs Not Detected
Autobanning Disabled
Debug Mode Disabled
No Duplicate Rules Detected In RAW
No Duplicate Rules Detected In FILTER
Whitelist IPTable Not Detected
BlockedRanges IPTable Not Detected
Blacklist IPTable Not Detected
Whitelist IPSet Not Detected
BlockedRanges IPSet Not Detected
Blacklist IPSet Not Detected
Skynet: [Complete] 0 IPs / 0 Ranges Banned. 0 New IPs / 0 New Ranges Banned.  Inbound /  Outbound Connections Blocked! [1s]

I've tried to re-install skynet but nothing changed. also both skynet and ab-solution seems they don't block anything but spotify not working.

Edit: oops, while I was writing this post skynet started working I don't know how :) but spotify is still same.

In the main screen of AB-Solution is an option to follow the log. Try to minimize as much traffic as you can, select the option to follow the logs, and open Spotify. Force close Spotify beforehand if needed then reopen it. Check the log for highlighted entries which are being blocked or re-routed to pixelsrv. Maybe Spotify uses different servers in other countries or for other subscriptions.

well it works OK on my PC (same account) I've disabled both AB-Solution and Skynet and still not working on my phone and it works with Mobile Data.

I'm using my PC to listen music at home so it's not a big deal for me, I may check it deeply later for now it's not a big deal.

Thanks for your help.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!