What's new

[SOLVED] VPN Client Issue RTAC86U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

muffintastic

Hello.

Got a strange problem, everytime i import an ovpn file into my router, enter the login credentials it seems to stuff up the router functions, i lose remote access, non of the firewall settings works, like it's borked. However i have the same setup on a RTAC68u and no issues. This is using a paid VPN. The only way i can get the router to function as normal is by disabling the VPN, i've reset the router but still the same issue.

Running the latest version. Very bizarre, was working a day ago.

Last edited:
Every time i look in the routing table it has my main WAN ip as default then NordVPN default 10.8.2.1 128.0.0.0 UG 0 0 0 tun15, then i can only access remotely the router from my public IP, but not from an external connection, then the port forwarding borks out and lose all routing functionality like UPNP etc. Again, when i disable it everything goes back to normal. I have like i said wiped the router, downgraded and upgraded the firmware and still does not work. I'm running a Vigor 130 in modem mode

It you want to access your router remotely through the WAN which is a terrible idea unless you use a VPN connection and then you need to run a VPN SERVER on your router. The VPN server will run on the router and NordVPN doesn't have be part of the tunnel.

@CaptainSTX I figured it out, again another n00b mistake. If i set "Force Internet traffic through tunnel: No" it stuffs everything up, my routing table shows tun11 (3 times) and for some reason stuffs up the router, breaking port forwarding, external access and no one can connect via WhatsApp chat and so on.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!