What's new

[Solved] VyprVPN, Asuswrt-Merlin, and Asus AC-3100

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Clark Venable

New Around Here
I managed to successfully flash my Asus RT88U to Asuswrt-Merlin (RT-AC88U_380.65_4.trx) and am trying to configure the openVPN client to use my VyprVPN service. I'm following the VyprVPN Open VPN Setup for Tomato at https://support.goldenfrog.com/hc/en-us/articles/204088603-VyprVPN-OpenVPN-Setup-for-Tomato .

When I activate the VPN, I see the following in my System Log on the router:
openvpn[2732]: Options error: Unrecognized option or missing or extra parameter(s) in config.ovpn:32: tls-remote (2.4.0)

Here's what my config screen looks like:

image.png

Anything obvious that would be causing this problem?

Whoops forgot to screen grab the custom config:

resolv-retry infinite
keepalive 10 60
nobind
persist-key
persist-tun
persist-remote-ip
tls-remote us2.vyprvpn.com
comp-lzo
verb 3

Try remove the tls-remote line from your custom config. As of OpenVPN 2.4.0 the feature was deprecated. I assume the VyprVPN guide was written a few months ago before this was introduced.

TLS Control should be set to tls-auth or be disabled, as Encrypt channel implies that the provider uses OpenVPN 2.4. If Vypr doesn't specify it, leave it disabled.

Remove comp-lzo, you already have it set to "Adaptive LZO" on the webui.

Disable Cipher Negotiation (that also requires OpenVPN 2.4 at the remote end).

Have you tried the easy way?

If Vyprvpn allows you to down load an ovpn file then simply load the entire file where it say choose file then apply and start.

Depending what is in the ovpn file you might have to edit to include your user name and password.

That one suggestion fixed it. Color me impressed. Thank you @Adamm .

I've gone and made all the tweaks suggested in this thread. Here's a screenshot of the working OpenVPN Client Setup.

image.png

Many thanks for they quick assists.

Clark

Last edited:
That one suggestion fixed it. Color me impressed. Thank you @Adamm .

I've gone and made all the tweaks suggested in this thread. Here's a screenshot of the working OpenVPN Client Setup.

image.png

Many thanks for they quick assists.

Clark

Their tutorial on AsusWrt Merlin indicates that it doesn't support the VyperDNS. Did you enter the DNS of VyperVPN in the Wan settings or did you use Google DNS or OpenDNS?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!