What's new

[SOLVED w/ add'l pending] Asus AC88U Client List Issue Observations

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Majinken

New Around Here
Hi everyone,

New here in the forum and just wanted to share some findings with the AC88U Client list.

Basically, the list of clients suddenly stops working via the Network Map but still works on the DHCP Lease list. I know this isn't much of an issue for some and I get it. I'm not a programmer or anything but would like to share since this might help rectify it in the future. :)

I saw some threads about this but did not have anything why or when it happened. I'm still looking for the "why" but observed some "when"s.

I have been playing with my router and the Client List issue happens to both the Stock and Merlin builds. Also, the client list stops working on the network map when:
  1. When I set a different IP address for my router, whether 10.0.0.0 or the 172.0.0.0 addresses, 192 ones seem to work fine though hit or miss
  2. Even if you retain the 192 address for the router, the Client List via Network Map will still stop to work if you change the Network IP pool when setting up your DHCP
Overall, I'm happy with my purchase of this router and hope Asus or Merlin fixes this. :)

Thank you!

Asuswrt's networkmap only supports /24 networks.

Hi RMerlin, appreciate your inputs. :)

I will modify my network config. Right now, I've set it 192.168.0.0 with subnet mask 255.255.0.0. Will try your suggestion, see what happens and come back here.

What's weird is, the client list never comes back even if you revert to the original settings (not factory or hard reset).

Thanks again!

Edit: Client List worked again... set Subnet Mask to 255.255.255.0 and using the 192.168.x.x IP range. Every time I use 10.x.x.x or the 172.16.x.x IP ranges with the router, even with the Subnet Mask set to 255.255.255.0, Client List and router.asus.com stops working at the same time.

Last edited:

Excuse this momentary hijacking...

Is there a reason why the 86U defaults the router IP to 192.168.50.1 instead of the 'usual' 192.168.1.1?

OE

Excuse this momentary hijacking...

Is there a reason why the 86U defaults the router IP to 192.168.50.1 instead of the 'usual' 192.168.1.1?

OE

Probably to reduce the chances of conflicting with existing networks I suppose.

Edit: Client List worked again... set Subnet Mask to 255.255.255.0 and using the 192.168.x.x IP range. Every time I use 10.x.x.x or the 172.16.x.x IP ranges with the router, even with the Subnet Mask set to 255.255.255.0, Client List and router.asus.com stops working at the same time.

Client List now works as long as the following are in place on your Network Setup:
  1. Router IP should be within the 192.168.x.x range
  2. DHCP IP Pool should be at least, within the /24 network range
In addition, router.asus.com will refer to the router as long as set IP range is within the 192.168.x.x range. Setting your Router or DHCP IPs to 172.16.x.x and 10.x.x.x ranges will make it stop working.

@RMerlin, please feel free to correct me here. :)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!