What's new

Some help with Asus Merlin/fiber modem setup please

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Dref

Occasional Visitor
Hi everybody I am new to all this IP/Mac address/AsusAC68U/Merlin stuff so sorry if I am asking stupid questions/doing stupid things.

Firstly this is my setup Fiberhome 4 port (no wifi) modem router supplied by ISP.

IP for this I believe 192.168.1.1
Connected to this:

Lan 4 cable attached but free so I can "Admin" my modem/router (not possible through the Asus Router)

Lan 3 cable to my SIP phone - works fine

Lan 2 cable to my IPTV -works fine

Lan 1 cable to Asus AC68U (Merlined)

Asus AC68U Merlin

IP for this (assigned by the Asus on setup) 192.168.2.1

Connected to this:

Lan 1 a TP link 8 port SWITCH

No other ports attached.

TP link TL-SG1008D
All other cabled devices attached to the switch including NAS box, KIII android (Kodi box), Powerline adapter to my WD Cloud box and various computers. Several WIFI devices are connected by WIFI in the ASUS. Everything that can be is Gigabit.

Now - when I look at network devices from within the Asus I see all the correct devices attached (both LAN and WIFI) EXCEPT it does NOT show me the Switch - but maybe that's as it should be because it does show all the devices attached to it all with IPs of 192.168.2.XXX

The only thing that I am unsure about is that my previous setup with the switch directly attached to the fiberhome modem/router I could see the TP-link switch

However all appears to be working OK both around my LAN and WAN

I also ran angry IP on the range 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.2.255

This detected an unknown device on 192.168.1.1 which I take to be the fiberhome and the Asus on 192.168.1.101 as well as on 192.168.2.1 which I presume is correct.

So two questions.

Does this setup look OK?

Am I likely to get IP conflicts between the ASUS WIFI and the Switch which I assume both assign IPs under DHCP?

After checking all this I logged on as Admin on the Fiberhome

I looked at two things initially, LAN State and DHCP Clients List

Here's what I found

LAN State

Lan Port

Service

Status

Internet

Link up

Internet

Link up

Internet

Link up

Internet

Link up

Sorry table didn't translate well!

I have no idea what linkup means anyone can help here?

Also all 4 ports say Service Internet is that correct?

Next DHCP Client List

ID MAC IP Lookup DEVICE DHCP
1 192.168.1.100 SIP Phone Dynamic

2 192.168.1.101 ASUSTek COMPUTER INC Dynamic

3 192.168.1.2 Shenzhen Geniatech Inc, Ltd Dynamic

4 192.168.1.102 ASUSTek COMPUTER INC Dynamic

Sorry table didn't translate well again!
The fiberhome doesn't actually show the device, I did a mac lookup to get the manufacturer.

The first thing to say is that if ID equals port then I know for sure that IP 192.168.1.100 is in port 1 not the SIP phone, that's in Port 3 (however I may have in the past swapped the cables and not rebooted the modem - maybe that's the reason for the discrepancy?).

I presume that Shenzhen Geniatech Inc, Ltd is my IP box in Port 2 and the second ASUSTEK is my portable in Port 4.

The main question really is all these are dynamic IP's should they be static - at least the ASUS AC68U on ID 2?

Also in "Application" in the modem upnp is enabled as I did this in my previous setup for my NAS box inet connection.
Also I notice DMZ has been set to auto with an IP address for the Asus AC68U (192.168.1.100). Did the Asus setup do this automatically?

So everyone (or anyone) any thoughts on this setup please.

Once I have some idea if this physical setup is OK I will start "experimenting" within Merlin.

That all looks fine. BTW switches don't do DHCP so there's no conflict.

Leave your IP's as dynamic unless you discover a reason to change it. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

Hi everybody I am new to all this IP/Mac address/AsusAC68U/Merlin stuff so sorry if I am asking stupid questions/doing stupid things.

Firstly this is my setup Fiberhome 4 port (no wifi) modem router supplied by ISP.

IP for this I believe 192.168.1.1
Connected to this:

Lan 4 cable attached but free so I can "Admin" my modem/router (not possible through the Asus Router)

Lan 3 cable to my SIP phone - works fine

Lan 2 cable to my IPTV -works fine

Lan 1 cable to Asus AC68U (Merlined)

Asus AC68U Merlin

IP for this (assigned by the Asus on setup) 192.168.2.1

Connected to this:

Lan 1 a TP link 8 port SWITCH

No other ports attached.

TP link TL-SG1008D
All other cabled devices attached to the switch including NAS box, KIII android (Kodi box), Powerline adapter to my WD Cloud box and various computers. Several WIFI devices are connected by WIFI in the ASUS. Everything that can be is Gigabit.

Now - when I look at network devices from within the Asus I see all the correct devices attached (both LAN and WIFI) EXCEPT it does NOT show me the Switch - but maybe that's as it should be because it does show all the devices attached to it all with IPs of 192.168.2.XXX

The only thing that I am unsure about is that my previous setup with the switch directly attached to the fiberhome modem/router I could see the TP-link switch

However all appears to be working OK both around my LAN and WAN

I also ran angry IP on the range 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.2.255

This detected an unknown device on 192.168.1.1 which I take to be the fiberhome and the Asus on 192.168.1.101 as well as on 192.168.2.1 which I presume is correct.

So two questions.

Does this setup look OK?

Am I likely to get IP conflicts between the ASUS WIFI and the Switch which I assume both assign IPs under DHCP?

After checking all this I logged on as Admin on the Fiberhome

I looked at two things initially, LAN State and DHCP Clients List

Here's what I found

LAN State

Lan Port

Service

Status

Internet

Link up

Internet

Link up

Internet

Link up

Internet

Link up

Sorry table didn't translate well!

I have no idea what linkup means anyone can help here?

Also all 4 ports say Service Internet is that correct?

Next DHCP Client List

ID MAC IP Lookup DEVICE DHCP
1 192.168.1.100 SIP Phone Dynamic

2 192.168.1.101 ASUSTek COMPUTER INC Dynamic

3 192.168.1.2 Shenzhen Geniatech Inc, Ltd Dynamic

4 192.168.1.102 ASUSTek COMPUTER INC Dynamic

Sorry table didn't translate well again!
The fiberhome doesn't actually show the device, I did a mac lookup to get the manufacturer.

The first thing to say is that if ID equals port then I know for sure that IP 192.168.1.100 is in port 1 not the SIP phone, that's in Port 3 (however I may have in the past swapped the cables and not rebooted the modem - maybe that's the reason for the discrepancy?).

I presume that Shenzhen Geniatech Inc, Ltd is my IP box in Port 2 and the second ASUSTEK is my portable in Port 4.

The main question really is all these are dynamic IP's should they be static - at least the ASUS AC68U on ID 2?

Also in "Application" in the modem upnp is enabled as I did this in my previous setup for my NAS box inet connection.
Also I notice DMZ has been set to auto with an IP address for the Asus AC68U (192.168.1.100). Did the Asus setup do this automatically?

So everyone (or anyone) any thoughts on this setup please.

Once I have some idea if this physical setup is OK I will start "experimenting" within Merlin.

I also have a fiberhome modem/router and I'm not impressed. Firmware is crapware and the CPU is underpowered for my needs. Can I make a suggestion? Put it into bridge mode and use it only as a modem for the fiber connection.Turn off the radio and DHCP. Set it to 192.168.1.1. If you should ever need to connect to it in the future, you will need to configure static IP on the client (e.g. laptop) with something like 192.168.1.5. Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0 and Gateway 192.168.1.1.

Then, connect your ASUS router to it and enter the PPOE userid and password from your ISP. I recommend making screen shots of the configs on the fiberhome before making the changes above. You can then use all of the power on the ASUS for your internet needs. These include OpenVPN Client for security and to get around geo blocking for streaming media, ad blocking using AB Solution and many other scripts to block bad sites and malware. You can attach your switch to it to give you more ports if needed. Here are the fiberhome settings I made on mine.

upload_2017-7-18_22-33-46.png

upload_2017-7-18_22-33-7.png

upload_2017-7-18_22-34-31.png

upload_2017-7-18_22-35-22.png

Last edited:
I also have a fiberhome modem/router and I'm not impressed. Firmware is crapware and the CPU is underpowered for my needs. Can I make a suggestion? Put it into bridge mode and use it only as a modem for the fiber connection.Turn off the radio and DHCP. Set it to 192.168.1.1. If you should ever need to connect to it in the future, you will need to configure static IP on the client (e.g. laptop) with something like 192.168.1.5. Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0 and Gateway 192.168.1.1.

Then, connect your ASUS router to it and enter the PPOE userid and password from your ISP. I recommend making screen shots of the configs on the fiberhome before making the changes above. You can then use all of the power on the ASUS for your internet needs. These include OpenVPN Client for security and to get around geo blocking for streaming media, ad blocking using AB Solution and many other scripts to block bad sites and malware. You can attach your switch to it to give you more ports if needed. Here are the fiberhome settings I made on mine.

View attachment 9871
View attachment 9870

View attachment 9872
View attachment 9873

Hi thanks for that.

My fiberhome has NO WIFI it's a straight modem router so is bridge mode relevant?

And where would I enter the ppoe in the Asus

And what will happen to my IPTV and SIP phone - no more ports on the switch

Apologies if these are stupid questions

Hi thanks for that.

My fiberhome has NO WIFI it's a straight modem router so is bridge mode relevant?

And where would I enter the ppoe in the Asus

And what will happen to my IPTV and SIP phone - no more ports on the switch

Apologies if these are stupid questions
Bridge Mode will still be relevant. It looks like this

fiber---->fiberhome modem/router bridge mode---->ETH Cat Cable-->ASUS Router---->ETH Port 1 thru 4 and WiFi Radio---->WiFi and ETH clients

You enter the PPoE information on the WAN page, Internet Connection Tab. You will see a drop down in WAN Connection Type field.

upload_2017-7-19_8-46-29.png

On the same page, Account Settings section, enter your ISP username in the PPP Username field and the password below. Use MTU and MRU values 1492 or 1500. See what your values are set to in the fiberhome. I have seen both work fine. Internet Detection is PPP Echo. Echo Interval is 6 and PPP Echo Max Values is 10 on my settings.

It appears you will have to buy a switch with ore ports. I have an AC88U with 8 ETH ports which gives me plenty to work with.

While you are at it, enable the jffs partition and SSH access from the LAN. This will prepare you to install some of the scripts available on the forum, such as AB-Solution for ad blocking at the router level.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!