What's new

Some interesting speed test results

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

TheLyppardMan

Very Senior Member
I think I was asked on one of my recent threads as to why I had replaced my 3-year-old ASUS RT-AX88U with a new RT-AX88U Pro. The reason I got rid of it was because the upload and download speeds dropped dramatically once I moved from BT's Full Fibre 500 service (using the Openreach fibre network) to Zen Internet's Full Fibre 900 service (using the CityFibre network). You can see the results on the speed test history graphs below:

Download Speed Tests.jpg

Upload Speed Tests.jpg

In my opinion, it's a matter of settings, not a new device.

Your tests are meaningless , the speeds available from BT and City Fibre are not the same.

Your tests are meaningless , the speeds available from BT and City Fibre are not the same.
How come; they were both taken using the same test site (ookla), so should be comparable? All the speed tests shown in the graphs were from when I changed to Zen.

In my opinion, it's a matter of settings, not a new device.
I tried different settings, but nothing solved the problem. I'm using the same settings on my new ASUS router and you can clearly see the difference.

I sold it on the basis that it was working perfectly well with BT, but not with Zen on CityFibre.

Yeah, it wasn't a router compatibility issue. Either something was configured wrong, it was total coincidence (new router used different wireless channel, or got a different IP from the ISP that routed through a less congested path, etc) or the old router was dying.

Yeah, it wasn't a router compatibility issue. Either something was configured wrong, it was total coincidence (new router used different wireless channel, or got a different IP from the ISP that routed through a less congested path, etc) or the old router was dying.
The tests I performed were via an ethernet cable, so it still remains a mystery as to why the speed dropped so dramatically when I switched to Zen. Anyway, all is well now.

If it's the ethernet connection results I suspect some setting has disabled HW / NAT acceleration.