What's new

Some issues with latest upgrade

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Pyb

Occasional Visitor
Hello,

I have got a RT88U as main router with 2 RT86U as mesh nodes.
Upgrading from 386.5 to 386.7 has been really complicated for me:
- for the main router, 2 attempts: after the first one (which seemed to be ok), the version still was the previous one. Second attempt ok.
- for the first node, no issue.
- for the second node, error message (communication error): after some attempts, I decided to come back to official Asus firmware, and then retry to direclty install the 386.7. So I tried to install the latest Asus firmware on my main router, without success: after the 100%, the router still was on 386.7.
- finally, I manage (I do not know why) to upgrade my second node in 386.7.

After these operations, I've got some questions:
- Am I doing some wrong manipulations?? For ex, for my RT86u, it was requested to log to their Homepage in order to install: It's the first time I see that.
- Is there something specific to do in order to come back to official Asus FW? I read on Merlin site that it is the classical procedure...
- Do you think I have got something wrong in my configuration? I know it's difficult to answer, but I'm a little bit surprised by these issues. Maybe a factory reset is mandatory before upgrading?

Thanks for your advices!

PYB

RT-AC and RT-AX are products with very different hardware, and many people may be confused by the names, so make sure you download the correct firmware.

Yes, sorry, there are RT-AC88U and RT-AC86U.
I tried to install RT-AC88U_386.7_2.trx and RT-AC86U_386.7_2_cferom_ubi.w: can you confirm there are the right ones?

Thanks a lot.

Do you think I have got something wrong in my configuration?

1) You have to remove all USB attached storage devices for a better firmware upgrade chance.
2) Your main router is much slower device than your nodes. AC86U is newer and faster model.

1) You have to remove all USB attached storage devices for a better firmware upgrade chance.
2) Your main router is much slower device than your nodes. AC86U is newer and faster model.
1) I don't have any attached storage devices.
2) Are you sure? I don't think the 86 is faster than the 88.

The RT-AC86U is the newer (much faster) model than the RT-AC88U (with the possibly problematic LAN Ports 5-8).

The RT-AC86U is the newer (much faster) model than the RT-AC88U (with the possibly problematic LAN Ports 5-8).
Argh, big mistake from my side... 1.4 Ghz for 88 vs 1.8 for 86.
OK, so that's not cool having the 88 as a master. But does it explain why I can not come back to official Asus firmware? And why do I need many tries before having the Merlin firmware?

Thanks again for your help.

You're welcome.

No, it doesn't explain it.

But if you haven't performed a full reset to factory defaults in a while, this may be the hint the router is giving you to do so now.

You're welcome.

No, it doesn't explain it.

But if you haven't performed a full reset to factory defaults in a while, this may be the hint the router is giving you to do so now.
Yes I was wondering if it was not time to do that!
Do you think a hard factory reset (with WPS button) is necessary? Or can I "just" use the button "Restaurer" (in french)?

When I reset, I use as many of the reset options available as possible (including the Reset Button, WPS Button, and via the GUI (including checking the 'Initialize all settings...', methods as appropriate for the model.

This takes a mere few minutes extra at this point, rather than gambling on it needing it depending on the method chosen.

For good measure, I'll flash the same firmware as is currently on the router too (assuming you're on the firmware you want to use, of course), in between the reset methods mentioned above.

Are you sure? I don't think the 86 is faster than the 88.

As you already figured it out, AC88U is older hardware with ARMv7 1.4GHz CPU. AC86U is newer HND platform router with ARMv8 1.8GHz CPU + hardware AES support. If you use on-router OpenVPN, AC86U can do >200Mbps. AC88U can barely reach 60Mbps. I would replace the two AC86U routers over time though. This model has multiple hardware and recently discovered software issues. What I found inside is here. Many folks lost their AC86U routers. Software issues are mentioned in this long thread here along with some attempt to fix or make better. This is not a router I would rely on.

As you already figured it out, AC88U is older hardware with ARMv7 1.4GHz CPU. AC86U is newer HND platform router with ARMv8 1.8GHz CPU + hardware AES support. If you use on-router OpenVPN, AC86U can do >200Mbps. AC88U can barely reach 60Mbps. I would replace the two AC86U routers over time though. This model has multiple hardware and recently discovered software issues. What I found inside is here. Many folks lost their AC86U routers. Software issues are mentioned in this long thread here along with some attempt to fix or make better. This is not a router I would rely on.
Thanks for these precisions. I would like to change and to switch to 3 GT-AXE11000 (or one 16000 and 2 11000), but I have got two issues: the price, and so, the WAF! :)