What's new

Some pages stall on safari on LAN, but Wifi they work fine?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

slvrscoobie

Regular Contributor
Trying to track down an issue ive had for a couple days now.
Some pages like my Piaware page, and my weather station page will partially or completely stall with Safari. Reddit is another as well, it loads some of the page but never finishes. as the download page for MS Edge (I was trying to see if that would resolve it). I have 750+mbps up and down.
Edge has No issues with any of these pages under the same circumstances.
However, if I turn Off my LAN connection and connect via wifi, suddenly safari works again. All my other devices, even my Mac mini also on LAN works on those pages fine..
Im trying to figure out if this is a safari issue (it only started after I updated on friday, but my Mac mini is also on I think the same version) and since Edge works, I dont think its my network. connection looks identical between them.
I can ping the addresses fine, but like Microsoft.com loads fine, but going to the edge page, it stalls with nothing loading.
Im using a startech.com thunderbolt hub, with a LAN connected to a TPLink Switch to my Asus rt3100 router. as soon as I plug the ethernet into that, I cant load those pages on safari. Switch to a usbc/gigE adapter and boom safari works. Edge works in both cases..?
*head scratch*

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-05-16 at 10.46.20 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-05-16 at 10.46.20 AM.png
    22.8 KB · Views: 79
It sounds to me like your wired setup has some reliability issues, like maybe it's dropping a few percent of packets. I've noticed that Safari behaves very poorly under such circumstances (though TBH I'm not sure why it'd be any worse than any other browser loading the same pages ... maybe it's just slower to retransmit failed requests?)

Try running an extended ping test, say maybe a thousand pings from laptop to ASUS router, and see if you observe any packet loss or intermittently large delays.

Also make sure you turn wi-fi *off* when you plug into the LAN. Dual paths to reach the same place tend not to end well.

It sounds to me like your wired setup has some reliability issues, like maybe it's dropping a few percent of packets. I've noticed that Safari behaves very poorly under such circumstances (though TBH I'm not sure why it'd be any worse than any other browser loading the same pages ... maybe it's just slower to retransmit failed requests?)

Try running an extended ping test, say maybe a thousand pings from laptop to ASUS router, and see if you observe any packet loss or intermittently large delays.

Also make sure you turn wi-fi *off* when you plug into the LAN. Dual paths to reach the same place tend not to end well.
never had an issue in the past, extended pings work fine, in the sub 1ms. MacOS allows dual paths, it prioritizes the top path, and has worked fine like this for... 5 years?
Over on the Mac subreddit, others are complaining of the same issue. seems to be / maybe related to iCloud Private relay, or Limit Ad Tracking options that work with safari but not other browsers.

found the issue.
theres a new setting that is 'on by default' in Safari - 'hide IP from tracking websites' which apparently breaks a lot of stuff - not sure why it breaks only on LAN vs Wifi but... turning it off immediately resolved the issues.

Reactions: tgl
found the issue.
theres a new setting that is 'on by default' in Safari - 'hide IP from tracking websites' which apparently breaks a lot of stuff - not sure why it breaks only on LAN vs Wifi but... turning it off immediately resolved the issues.
Interesting. I've seen other reports of that causing issues, but not run into it myself.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!