What's new

Some problems with my RT-AC86U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Patrick9876

Regular Contributor
RT-AC86U running Merlin 386.5.2

I've lately been loosing WAN connectivity for short periods. Looking in the router's log it appears that this has been happening for at least several weeks (if I understand what I'm seeing in the log). An example:
Code:
Aug 24 05:11:57 kernel: eth0 (Int switch port: 3) (Logical Port: 3) Link DOWN.
Aug 24 05:12:36 kernel: eth0 (Int switch port: 3) (Logical Port: 3) Link UP 1000 mbps full duplex

These are happening multiple times a day - something multiple times an hour, but not often - and always last about 40 seconds.
About 2 months ago I installed a new cable modem - a Motorola MB8611 - but I don't have logs going back that far so I don't know if it relates to the modem, the router, or my ISP (Comcast/Xfinity). There are some events logged in the modem's log, but many fewer than in the router's log, and those present don't seem to match any in the router. (Of course, I don't know what time zone modem uses so that doesn't help.)

I haven't tried just rebooting either the router or the modem, or installing the latest version of the Merlin firmware. Is there any reason to think that those options might help?

The messages would indicate that the modem rebooted, or you have a faulty physical connection (e.g. patch cable) between the modem and the router.

Hmm. I've not seen any evidence of the modem rebooting but I'll watch for that. And I'll try a different Ethernet cable ... although having a cable repeatedly causing 40 second outages seems odd to me.

Check the comcast forums on dsl reports. Lots of people having to replace there 8611 as all it does is crash and reboot. Comcast is of no help because it's not there equipment.

Motorola MB8611 And Comcast - Comcast XFINITY | DSLReports Forums
Thanls for mentioning that. I hadn't looked there yet, but you're absolutely right. The modem rebooted (or at least kicked me off and provoked the etho drop) while I was looking at the modem status. I'll try tightening my cable connections (as was suggestion in the DSL Reports thread) before switching to a new modem.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!