What's new

Some VLAN Questions

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Breakingcustom

New Around Here
I'm looking at setting up a VLAN network for a small company for security purposes.

As of right now all they have is an Actiontec M1000 modem/router from Qwest and a cheap 10/100 12 port switch. I will be upgrading them to an HP Procurve 1700-24 or 1810g-24 soon. Both switches have VLAN capabilities, but I don't believe they have trunking options.

I was going to go with a SonicWall but you have to go to their NSA models in order to get the trunking feature and I don't think they will want to spend $1000+ on a device.

Also, I want to have their WLAN in VLANs as well. I know you can get like a WNDR3700 which has the ability for four 4 SSIDs.

You guys have any suggestions?

You should elaborate on your question. I've been looking into VLAN's extensively so I might be of some help.

If you connect the wireless access point to a VLAN-tagged port on your VLAN capable switch, you should in theory be able to isolate your wireless clients from the rest of the LAN.

BTW, you do not need a $1000 device for VLAN's. My switch cost only 100 dollars:). There are many many switches out that that both support port based and tagged VLAN's (trunks).

You need VLAN trunk capability only if you have multiple switches.