What's new

Some youtube videos being blocked by router?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Darkening

New Around Here
Hello everyone :)

I hope someone may be able to help me as I'm at my wits end!

I have just purchased an Asus RT-AC66U router to replace my BT Home Hub, any way got it home and set it up with no real issues, but the problem came when trying to play some you tube videos on my ipad/iPhone on the app.

only some of the videos would play, at first I thought it was only under 18 videos playing so I thought it could be a parental guidance issue but I checked the router and app but they are all set up as far as I can tell correctly and as the app worked perfectly before on my home hub I assumed it was the router. I would also assume that if it was a parental guidance thing then I would get a warning on the screen?

I then played an over 18 video (not one of those ones ;)) which worked fine, so it seems to be only selected videos, all that happened is the video refuses to load you just get the spinning white wheel

is this a know issue or is there a setting in the router that I have to allow apps?

any advice???

Cheers Jason

Hello everyone :)

I hope someone may be able to help me as I'm at my wits end!

I have just purchased an Asus RT-AC66U router to replace my BT Home Hub, any way got it home and set it up with no real issues, but the problem came when trying to play some you tube videos on my ipad/iPhone on the app.

only some of the videos would play, at first I thought it was only under 18 videos playing so I thought it could be a parental guidance issue but I checked the router and app but they are all set up as far as I can tell correctly and as the app worked perfectly before on my home hub I assumed it was the router. I would also assume that if it was a parental guidance thing then I would get a warning on the screen?

I then played an over 18 video (not one of those ones ;)) which worked fine, so it seems to be only selected videos, all that happened is the video refuses to load you just get the spinning white wheel

is this a know issue or is there a setting in the router that I have to allow apps?

any advice???

Cheers Jason

Ok bit of an update, it seems that the adverts being blocked are the ones with adverts before them. So next question is there a built in ad blocker in the router? If so can I edit or turn it off?

Then I don't understand why YouTube ads are being blocked preventing videos from playing. It does only seem to be the app on my iPad browsers all work.

The app works on any other internet/router and worked perfectly on my old BT home hub - anyone have any suggestions

Did you buy the router brand new. If not, perhaps the previous owner installed some ad-blocking software on it.

Have you installed the latest firmware followed by a reset to factory defaults and then a manual configure (just as a best practice for setting up a new device)?

@ColinTaylor has a good suggestion. To see if there are any programs installed, see if you can logon to SSH session and see if anything is installed in /jffs/scripts. Is the issue happening on Smart TV or browser? Try different browsers.