What's new

Something is seriously wrong, please help

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mummel

Regular Contributor
Guys, so I downloaded inSSIDer to try and figure out WTF is wrong with my home network. I ran the scan. My 2.4ghz signal was pretty congested but I chose the best channel there was.

Speeds at all points in my home are pretty good now at 2.4ghz, maxing out my internet plan, both up and down (so Im really happy about that). There was a deadspot before the channel switch but now I can receive signal there. I really appreciate the help trying to sort this out.

However, the 5ghz network is complete broken (I have a N66U), and I'm getting about 1/4 of the speeds of the 2.4ghz setup. I ran the scan in inSSIDer, and I was really excited to see I was the only guy to have a 5ghz network. There wasnt another sole running at 5ghz in my area!! So I've set the channel to 40hz and a channel number in the middle somewhere (cant remember exactly now). But the speeds are completely broken. Sometimes it even disconnects.

What really worries me is that if I stand a few feet away from the router, my signal strength is -25db and its blazing fast at 2.4ghz, but at the exact same distance at 5ghz, the signal is still excellent at -25db (and both pings are in the low 20s so pretty good), but transfer rates are in the toilet.

Does anyone know how I can figure out how to fix this? Why would I have excellent signal strength, practically zero noise, but still horrible transfer rates? Is my N66U faulty and needs to be replaced? Before exploring a RMA, I'd like to make sure it isnt something on my end first. Can anyone help?

Thanks all! :mad::mad::mad:

Last edited:
What 5 GHz device /adapter are you using?

What 5 GHz device /adapter are you using?

I already thought about this. The device is a laptop, using an Intel® Centrino Ultimate-N 6300 (updated to latest driver):

802.11agn, 3x3, dual band delivers up to 450 Mbps and maximum range and reliability; 5 GHz boosts speeds and reduces congestion; energy efficient2 for greater mobility and convenience.

I also tested it on my iPad mini (2012) and got poor results. The iPad mini features dual-band 802.11n Wi-Fi support for speeds up to 150 Mbps, so I guess this could be a bottleneck, but I got no where near 150 Mbps (I think it was more like 15 Mbps).

I could try another laptop tonight just to make sure, but lets assume its not the laptop's device. What else can I check? What else could be wrong? Thanks!

What link rate(s) is the laptop reporting?

What are the 5 GHz settings on the router? What have you changed from the default settings?

What link rate(s) is the laptop reporting?

What are the 5 GHz settings on the router? What have you changed from the default settings?

I cant remember the link rate on the laptop, but it reported 450 Mbps via inSSIDER, so it's at it's max link rate.

The only things I changed on the router via the 5ghz tab was a changed the channel to 157 (I think), and I changed the mode to 40hz. But I tried a variety of different options, running through each channel all the way down to 36, and switching between 20hz and 20/40hz. Nothing seemed to fix the problem. I was also standing about 6 feet from the router and had great signal at -25db. And like I said, I am the only one in my area using 5ghz. That little chart is completely clear, which is great! But I cant get good speeds. :mad:

In inSSIDer, the 5ghz signal is reporting extremely constant during my testing. A straight line in the chart at -25db. But when I run a speed test, its very spotty. It bursts for a second, then slows to a crawl, then bursts again. Its not consistent. And my ping is 22ms, so its not a latency issue. I just dont know.

Anyone? Thanks guys.

Seeing 450 Mbps on inSSIDer means that the router is advertising that speed.

What you need to know is the link rate your client is seeing and whether it is steady.

Do you have any 5 GHz cordless phones?

Try setting the 5 GHz mode to 20 MHz.

Seeing 450 Mbps on inSSIDer means that the router is advertising that speed.

What you need to know is the link rate your client is seeing and whether it is steady.

Do you have any 5 GHz cordless phones?

Try setting the 5 GHz mode to 20 MHz.

I tried setting the 5ghz mode to 20mhz. NO DICE! I have cordless phones, DECT 6, which is at 1.9ghz. The 5ghz channel should be fine.

WOW man. I just checked the link rate via Windows 7. DARN! I didnt see this last night. So here is an issue. When choosing the 5ghz network, the link rate is all over the place, topping out at 300 and dropping all the way to 150. The numbers just seem to be randomly changing every few seconds (300, then 243, then 270, then 360, then 180 etc) ????

When I chose the 2.4ghz network, it sits at a constant 217 mbps.

You may have just figured this one out! What could be causing this? Why would my link rate be all over the place when my signal strength is good and extremely constant? Thanks so much for helping me identify this issue. I knew something is up. What's causing this! Thanks.

Could be a bad router. Did 5 GHz ever work?

Might also be heat related. Try unplugging the router for 30 mins or so, then
power it back up and see if things improve.

Could be a bad router. Did 5 GHz ever work?

Might also be heat related. Try unplugging the router for 30 mins or so, then
power it back up and see if things improve.

I dont know if it was working from the start because I never went into such analysis/troubleshooting. I assumed the 5ghz channel was having issues penetrating walls in my home so I mostly started used the 2.4ghz network about a month after I got the router. But eventually the dead spot in my home was driving me nuts so I decided to get a second N56U to use only as a router (wireless disabled), and move my existing N66U to a central location in my home and use it only as an access point (I had to have it near my modem on the far side of the house before, but now I've put the N56U there, and can move my N66U to a central point connected over gigabit LAN Cat5e).

I now have good 2.4ghz signal thoughout which maxes out my internet speeds (I really am happy about this), but I've now discovered the 5ghz network is broken and I need to move large photo files wirelessly to my NAS from my laptop, and I need the 450 mbps speeds.

I dont think it's heat related.

So what do you guys recommend? RMA the device? Im so glad I discovered this issue.

Last edited:
I dont think it's heat related.
Why? Why not just try the experiment?

To rule out the N66 router, enable wireless on the N56U and see what you get.

Actual best-case throughput is always at best around 50% of the link rate. There is a lot of overhead in wireless that causes this. "Gigabit" wireless is hype.

If you want fast, reliable file transfers, use Ethernet.

What firmware are you using on the n66u?

If you're just using it in AP mode, then use firmware .276. Be sure to reset to factory defaults after flashing the firmware and reconfigure from scratch.

Why? Why not just try the experiment?

To rule out the N66 router, enable wireless on the N56U and see what you get.

Actual best-case throughput is always at best around 50% of the link rate. There is a lot of overhead in wireless that causes this. "Gigabit" wireless is hype.

If you want fast, reliable file transfers, use Ethernet.

I will do the heat test tonight before I RMA. If it is a heat issue, then the unit is busted and would need to be RMA'ed anyway (I have the power setting at 100 so it would not be something on my end).

I will check the N56U tonight to make sure I can get 300 mps constant link rates at 5ghz (ruling out the laptop's network card). If that is the case, then I must assume the 66U is busted. The 66U has a 2 year parts/labor warranty.

Any idea about Asus customer service? Thanks man! Glad Im finally going to get this issue resolved.

Why not try the default settings instead of messing with power setting? I have never touched the power settings.

I cant remember what the power setting is. I read online that 100 is fine. I've got everything configured so dont want to reset everything. Can you confirm your power setting number? (Its under wireless > professional I think, Tx power setting).

I cant remember what the power setting is. I read online that 100 is fine. I've got everything configured so dont want to reset everything. Can you confirm your power setting number? (Its under wireless > professional I think, Tx power setting).

Lol. Yeah I know where the power settings are located. I know where all of the settings are located. ;)

The default is 80.

Use firmware .276. Reset to factory defaults. Reconfigure from scratch. Use mostly default settings. Good luck.

What firmware are you using on the n66u?

If you're just using it in AP mode, then use firmware .276. Be sure to reset to factory defaults after flashing the firmware and reconfigure from scratch.

Not exactly sure what firmware version (Im at work), but I upgraded to the latest one through the GUI. How come you say .276 is the best if its just in AP mode? Did someone do some testing?

Lol. Yeah I know where the power settings are located. I know where all of the settings are located. ;)

The default is 80.

Use firmware .276. Reset to factory defaults. Reconfigure from scratch. Use mostly default settings. Good luck.

Ok I will try this. If it still doesnt work, do you guys think the router is defective? Otherwise, what else can I do to make sure it's not something on my end?

Steps left:
1) reset everything to stock settings and try again
2) Downgrade firmware to .276
3) ???
4) RMA

So a quick update. Downgrading the firmware did not work, and I confirmed that its not a heat issue.

I spoke to Asus. They were very difficult about an RMA and the CSR was extremely rude, but eventually I got it done. They claim if I'm not using an Asus adapter, then I'm SOL. Seriously...... What about iPads, and Android phones, and WDTVs, and etc etc etc. I mean, thats why we buy these devices. To be connected reliably at high speed. I explained my link rate is all over the place, dropping to 54mps when I'm 30 feet away with line of sight, and they basically said it's not their problem unless I have an adapter.........

If Asus is saying that you can only get what they advertise and sell you, for top dollar I might add, only if you use their adapter, is just poor form. I understand if I'm using an adapter from 5 years ago that it may not work. But Im using an Intel certified Centrino N6300 rated at 450mbps, and they basically said "tough luck".

Regardless, I know this unit is defective so I will get the problem fixed. I just cant believe Asus's position, particularly on a product that has a 2 year warranty. I also read the fine print in the RMA, and they say they have the right to send you a refurb as a replacement. I dont know.... Piss poor customer service.

Thanks to everyone for helping me sort this out. I really enjoy this site.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!