What's new

Sonos and USB attached HDD drive issue.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Igs

Regular Contributor
Hello. I hope that someone can help me with the issue I'm having with the Sonos system and WD external drive attached to the Asus ax58u router.

All my device can access and R/W the HDD drive. These are my PC, android file manager, Android JetAudio music app.

Sonos system managed to add the path to the folder on the hard drive, but only after a few attempts (i had to restart the router and Sonos speakers).

Then when I added more songs to the Music folder on the HDD and used Sonos app to reindex the music folder, Sonos said that this path (\\192.168.1.1\wd\Music) doesn't exist.

When I checked AX58U logs, it said:

May 29 12:36:39 smbd[11632]: [2022/05/29 12:36:39.394293, 0] smbd/smb2_server.c:401(smb2_validate_message_id)

May 29 12:36:39 smbd[11632]: smb2_validate_message_id: client used more credits than granted, mid 1026, credits_granted 0, seqnum low/range: 1026/0

Can anybody explain me what does it mean? I guess the problem is here. Thank you in advance.

I am having almost this exact same issue. I am also using an Asus router (RT-AX86U) and I get the pretty much the same logs when indexing my library fails.

smbd/smb2_server.c:401(smb2_validate_message_id)
smb2_validate_message_id: client used more credits than granted, mid 66561, credits_granted 0, seqnum low/range: 66561/0

Did you manage to fix anything?

Hi. You know, I haven't found the fix, but very next day early in the morning the library update succeeded. A few days later I purchased Asus TUF AX5400 (I sold AX58u). This worked without any problem so far. But I guess bit is just a matter of time.

A few suggestions: make sure that you do HDD formatting within the Asus firmware.

I will report if the issue comes back.

Adding myself to the list. A comparable log:
Jun 26 01:33:10 smbd[18716]: [2022/06/26 01:33:10.359152, 0] smbd/smb2_server.c:401(smb2_validate_message_id)
Jun 26 01:33:10 smbd[18716]: smb2_validate_message_id: client used more credits than granted, mid 1025, credits_granted 0, seqnum low/range: 1025/0
Using an RT-AC68U on Firmware Version: 386.5_2. Running Sonos S2 on version 14.10 Using the USB2.0 port with a Monster-branded 32GB USB memory stick.

This problem for me is historical, and the recent addition of Samba 2 (Sonos only supported SMB 1 until last year) has not helped with the problem and Samba 1 also would give similar errors. Unfortunately, I did not save the log from back then.

You could pickup a cheap 1 or 2 bay basic NAS. Personally, I don't believe in running a bunch of "extras" on my router. I want it to do as little extras as required and focus all resources solely to doing what it should, route IP traffic.

You could pickup a cheap 1 or 2 bay basic NAS. Personally, I don't believe in running a bunch of "extras" on my router. I want it to do as little extras as required and focus all resources solely to doing what it should, route IP traffic.
Keep in mind that a NAS will double the routing requirements for your router. Ideally it would be plugged in via Ethernet; if it is connected over WiFi then it will also double your wireless bandwidth requirement. I see a USB connection to the router simpler and more elegant.

BTW, after upgrading my Tuf-AX500 to the latest 3.0.0.4.388_23285, I was able to add the USB HDD to Sonos successfully. I used forward slashes, btw. I won´t updating the library again though, as I´m not sure if second time will be successful too. ))

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!