What's new

Sonos Play5 skips tracks - RT-AC66U settings?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

PULCK

Occasional Visitor
First post here.

My Sonos Play5 often skips tracks - it will play half a song and then suddenly skip forward to the next one - and I'm trying to work out if it's being caused by my Asus RT-AC66U router.

Here is some info about my set-up:

- Sonos is connected wirelessly to router. It is about 10 feet away from the router, with no intervening walls
- I use Deezer, Amazon Prime and Google Music services
- Router has latest firmware
- There are no extenders or other access points attached to the LAN (as recommended by Sonos)
- I've set my router to use wifi channel 11 (Sonos recommends manual assignment)
- I've reserved a static IP address for the Sonos, rather than DHCP

One thing I have considered is using the Traffic Manager (QoS) to prioritise the Sonos, but it's not clear to an idiot like me how to do that. There aren't any pre-defined rules in the Traffic Manager for Sonos or music-streaming services.

As an aside, since updating the firmware on the router's admin page I'm getting the error message "The WAN IP is not the external IP. External IP-based services will not work." What is this and is it important?

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!