1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

Spanning Tree Protocol

Discussion in 'General Wireless Discussion' started by Gar, Dec 13, 2018.

1. Gar

Gar Regular Contributor

I just read on this forum that STP under LAN should be disabled. After looking it up, that seems correct...to me. When would it be enabled? Having only 1 or 2 devices plugged into the router and typically 2 wifi what is a good choice? 1 wifi is video. Thanks

Edit: not seeing or measuring a difference either way (on 100/10)

2. ColinTaylor

ColinTaylor Part of the Furniture

I've always run with STP on (probably just out of habit). Personally I don't see any reason to turn it off. It's not going to make your LAN go any faster or slower, and it might help you in the unlikely scenario that you start connecting other routers to your LAN.

OTOH if you're creating a complicated network like that, or you start looping network devices together and you don't understand what you're doing, you probably deserve everything you get.:D

3. coxhaus

coxhaus Part of the Furniture

In the old days on large networks you wanted STP turned off on client PCs. It could cause the PCs to time out on DHCP requests. You definitely wanted it on when connecting network devices as it protects your network from going down due to a network storm. I always run STP now on my small home network and there are no problems with PCs. So I don't turn it off on individual ports. Twenty years ago we had problems with 600 people networked local so we turned off individual ports for PCs.

Oh. This was using Cisco pro gear with IOS.

Now that I think about it, it is probably longer ago than 20 years maybe closer to 30.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2019 at 1:53 AM