What's new

spdMerlin spdMerlin causes router to reboot

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

yigitar

New Around Here
Hello,

I have searched for a related topic but couldn't find one.
I have a GT-AX6000 and 200 Mbit connection. Before this I was using 100 Mbit VDSL with the same device.
When auto test kicks in, router restarts. This is not an absolute issue but around %80 of the time, the test causes the router to reboot. I tried manual tests and it also causes reboots. Unfortunately, device log doesn't show anything because the last thing it shows before restarting is test start. After that, it is boot log.

I tried factory reset, clean setup, firmware change but none helped.
I tried both built in and speedtest-cli options and it didn't change the result.
I watch the router via htop while performing tests and cpu or memory doesn't reach full. In normal operation memory is around 700 mb.
spdMerlin version is 4.4.5. Stats and are config are on usb.
Router firmware version is 388.2.2
Installed add ons: Skynet, scribe, connmon, scMerlin, spdMerlin, uiscribe, YazDHCP, vnStat, RTmon

Can you help me with this problem.

Best regards,

Last edited:
Hello,

I have a GT-AX6000 and 200 Mbit connection. Before this I was using 100 Mbit VDSL with the same device.
When auto test kicks in, router restarts. This is not an absolute issue but around %80 of the time, the test causes the router to reboot. I tried manual tests and it also causes reboots. Unfortunately, device log doesn't show anything because the last thing it shows before restarting is test start. After that is is boot log.

I tried both built in and speedtest-cli options and it didn't change the result.
I watch the router via htop while performing tests and neither cpu not memory reaches full. In normal operation memory is around 700 mb.
Installed add ons: Skynet, scribe, connmon, scMerlin, spdMerlin, uiscribe, YazDHCP, vnStat, RTmon

Best regards,
You were going so fast, the router couldn't keep up! :eek: o_O

What about when you run,

Code:
spdmerlin && reboot

from the SSH command line?

Hello,

Thanks for replying. Is 200 Mbit even that high for router to keep up. It was doing the same thing with 70 Mbit results over vdsl.

Also the command you suggested, causes the spdmerlin menu to appear. When I exit the menu the router restarts immediately. I think this is what it's supposed to do. It is possible I didn't get what you were asking me to test.
Can you elaborate?

PS: I forgot to mention something. In modem GUI internet speed page whenever I test the speed using original test these is never a malfunction or reboot. Also speeds are same on pc test and GUI test.

Last edited:
Hello,

I have the same problem. I noticed it happens only when I enable QoS. As soon as I disable it, spdMerlin works again. Maybe it has something to do with the QoS settings? I run it on automatic so I don't know what could be wrong. Or spdMerlin need a little update.

Anyone with better insight to test this out? I have a AX88u Pro with 1000mbps connection. And same as OP. I can't see anything in the logs relating to the sudden restart.

At one time, automatic QoS set the up/down speeds to something like 2Gbps.

Try manually setting them, reboot your computer and router, wait 15 minutes or more, and test again.

Hello,

When auto test kicks in, router restarts. This is not an absolute issue but around %80 of the time, the test causes the router to reboot. I tried manual tests and it also causes reboots. Unfortunately, device log doesn't show anything because the last thing it shows before restarting is test start. After that, it is boot log.

I watch the router via htop while performing tests and cpu or memory doesn't reach full. In normal operation memory is around 700 mb.

Best regards,
What firmware are you using? SpdMerlin is no longer being developed. If you are using 388.x, there may be issues with SpdMerlin not properly handling QoS in the newer codebase.

SpdMerlin is suppose to suspend QoS on a test. I am thinking something is not right - particularly if you say the reboots stop after you disable QoS.

At one time, automatic QoS set the up/down speeds to something like 2Gbps.

Try manually setting them, reboot your computer and router, wait 15 minutes or more, and test again.
That solved it for me. I put my internet speed manually and it no longer crashes. Thanks!

What firmware are you using? SpdMerlin is no longer being developed. If you are using 388.x, there may be issues with SpdMerlin not properly handling QoS in the newer codebase.

SpdMerlin is suppose to suspend QoS on a test. I am thinking something is not right - particularly if you say the reboots stop after you disable QoS.
I saw it's not maintained anymore. I was actually wondering if the QoS exclude option actually works. Well, there's a "fix" at least.

Found with my GT-AXE16000 with 388.2_2 & 388.4 Beta1/Beta2 installing SpdMerlin random reboots would occur within 5-30mins of install. SpdMerlin worked fine though on my GT-AXE11000 with the same code releases.

Found with my GT-AXE16000 with 388.2_2 & 388.4 Beta1/Beta2 installing SpdMerlin random reboots would occur within 5-30mins of install. SpdMerlin worked fine though on my GT-AXE11000 with the same code releases.
Maybe router specific if nothing else in the path. I get XT8 with 388.2_2_gnuton (should be the same) and hourly speedtest with autobw enabled (for the QoS), and the below settings. No issue so far.
PS: I use an USB dongle to store the result

1691487252705.png

I noticed this behavior as well.

Maybe router specific if nothing else in the path. I get XT8 with 388.2_2_gnuton (should be the same) and hourly speedtest with autobw enabled (for the QoS), and the below settings. No issue so far.
PS: I use an USB dongle to store the result

View attachment 52213
Let me play on the AXE16000 on settings and perhaps disabling the "Exclude speedtests from QoS". Will advise. The AXE11000 on the other hand no issues with Spdmerlin.

Let me play on the AXE16000 on settings and perhaps disabling the "Exclude speedtests from QoS". Will advise. The AXE11000 on the other hand no issues with Spdmerlin.
Less then a minute after installing spdmerlin on the AXE16000 a reboot occurred before I could tweak any settings. Keeping spdmerlin off the AXE16000!

Your "J" scripts are unaware of 388 firmware changes. nsrum is unsupported for a long time since 384 firmware. FlexQoS perhaps doesn't work at all with Runner and Flow Cache on your AX-class router. Your issues come from too many scripts installed, some unsupported, some obsolete, some not working or with issues in 388 firmware. Unrelated to hardware or firmware. You have to reduce the number of scripts.

Less then a minute after installing spdmerlin on the AXE16000 a reboot occurred before I could tweak any settings. Keeping spdmerlin off the AXE16000!
Run a speedtest manually to see if it’s the test itself.
Code:
ookla -c http://www.speedtest.net/api/embed/vz0azjarf5enop8a/config -f human-readable

Your "J" scripts are unaware of 388 firmware changes. nsrum is unsupported for a long time since 384 firmware. FlexQoS perhaps doesn't work at all with Runner and Flow Cache on your AX-class router. Your issues come from too many scripts installed, some unsupported, some obsolete, some not working or with issues in 388 firmware. Unrelated to hardware or firmware. You have to reduce the number of scripts.
Learning last week that JackYaz no longer supports the Asuswrt-merlin platform one does have to treat all his (amazing) programs wearily now for sure. My first failure of his portfolio is spdmerlin on AXE16000, but runs ok on AX6000 and AXE11000. FlexQoS as you point out...may be challenged too to achieve what is should.
Always run lots of scripts since late 2017, just spdmerlin of currently available, not formally deprecated in AMTM, created a curve ball until it was proven it was a cause of a random reboot on the AXE16000.

Just out of curiosity, does the syslog give any indication of what was happening just before the reboot occured? You may need to set the log level to debug to get more information.

I have rewritten SpdMerlin twice now - once for OpenWRT and another version for Ubuntu on a RasPi 4. If we can get an idea of what is causing the reboots, we might be able to fix it.

Also, does the router reboot using both the external ookla program AND the internal ookla program?

Run a speedtest manually to see if it’s the test itself.
Code:
ookla -c http://www.speedtest.net/api/embed/vz0azjarf5enop8a/config -f human-readable
Good Suggestion! I ran the manual test over different run times over about an hour. ie didn't create any reboots on the AXE16000. Results as expected for my physical setup.

Last edited:
Good Suggestion! I ran the manual test over different run times over about an hour. ie didn't create an any reboots on the AXE16000. Results as expected for my physical setup.
Then I would suspect something with iptables and the QoS exclusion option. Feels like things are more delicate in the closed-source components on newer models or firmwares.

Just out of curiosity, does the syslog give any indication of what was happening just before the reboot occured? You may need to set the log level to debug to get more information.

I have rewritten SpdMerlin twice now - once for OpenWRT and another version for Ubuntu on a RasPi 4. If we can get an idea of what is causing the reboots, we might be able to fix it.
OK Jeffrey, I'm up for this pursuit as my AXE16000 is just for my use, tweaking, experiments. Household runs unaffected on a AXE11000 + AiMesh.

Nothing evident in system log to show a why a crash, you just get a time gap of several minutes, then entries reflecting the reboot sequence is occurring.
Checking these actions are applicable to what you require...
1. nvram set log_level=7
nvram commit
reboot
2. Install spdmerlin and then see what occurs.
3. On crash, download log file and DM to you.

Note: Options I have for "set log_level". Which one is the original (manufacturing default) setting?
0 - Emergency (emerg)
1 - Alerts (alert)
2 - Critical (crit)
3 - Errors (err)
4 - Warnings (warn)
5 - Notification (notice)
6 - Information (info)
7 - Debug (debug)

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!