spdMerlin spdMerlin - v4.x - speedtest and bandwidth monitoring

• ATTENTION! You'll notice a Prefix dropdown when you create a thread. If your post applies to one of the topics listed, please use that Prefix for your post. When browsing the thread list you can use the Prefix to filter the view.
  • ATTENTION! As of November 1, 2020, you are not able to reply to threads 6 months after the thread is opened if there are more than 500 posts in the thread.
    Threads will not be locked, so posts may still be edited by their authors.
    Just start a new thread on the topic to post if you get an error message when trying to reply to a thread.

Jack Yaz

Part of the Furniture
v4.1.1
Updated 2020-12-05

spdMerlin is an internet speedtest and monitoring tool for AsusWRT Merlin with charts for daily, weekly and monthly summaries. It tracks download/upload bandwidth as well as latency, jitter and packet loss.

spdMerlin is free to use under the GNU General Public License version 3 (GPL 3.0).

spdMerlin uses Speedtest CLI

spdMerlin includes the required licenses, which must be accepted on first run of Speedtest CLI.

This script began as a user-friendly installer for a personal project developed by JGrana

A swap file is required.

This project is hosted on GitHub

Love the script and want to support future development? Any and all donations gratefully received!
PayPal donation
Buy me a coffee

Supported firmware versions
You must be running firmware Merlin 384.15/384.13_4 or Fork 43E5 (or later) Asuswrt-Merlin

Installation
Using your preferred SSH client/terminal, copy and paste the following command, then press Enter:
Code:
/usr/sbin/curl --retry 3 "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/jackyaz/spdMerlin/master/spdmerlin.sh" -o "/jffs/scripts/spdmerlin" && chmod 0755 /jffs/scripts/spdmerlin && /jffs/scripts/spdmerlin install
Usage
WebUI

spdMerlin can be configured via the WebUI, in the Addons section.

Command Line
To launch the spdMerlin menu after installation, use:
Code:
spdmerlin
If this does not work, you will need to use the full path:
Code:
/jffs/scripts/spdmerlin
Updating
Launch spdmerlin and select option u

Last edited:

Jack Yaz

Part of the Furniture
Screenshots

Last edited:

Jack Yaz

Part of the Furniture
Changelog for v4 (since v3.6.1)
  • NEW: Charts for latency and packet loss (speedtest server dependent)
  • NEW: Option to log speedtest result URLs to Ookla website
  • NEW: Include data used in Last 10 results and CSV
  • NEW: Run speedtests from the WebUI
  • NEW: Preferred server can be set for each interface
  • NEW: Option to try to exclude/include speedtest traffic from QoS
  • NEW: Include AutoBW in spdMerlin (https://github.com/squidbillyms/AutoBW)
  • NEW: Allow naming of custom server entry
  • NEW: Configure all spdMerlin settings in the WebUI
  • IMPROVED: Check for updates in WebUI no longer needs a page refresh
  • IMPROVED: CSV export has been condensed to a combined csv with all available metrics

Last edited:

Ubimo

Can one simply update spdMerlin from 3.x.x. to 4.0.0, or do we have to use the terminal command?

Jack Yaz

Part of the Furniture
Can one simply update spdMerlin from 3.x.x. to 4.0.0, or do we have to use the terminal command?
v4 is now live and can be updated through any of the supported methods (webui, cli, amtm)

I put the thread up early as I had to rebuild it following the "6 month rule" preventing my previous thread from being used.

JT Strickland

Mine is working fine now, great job!
Somehow my WAN interface was switched off between the old 3.x version and the develop.
You guys would be better off if I didn't do any testing. I'm afraid I'm not much help.

Shades

New Around Here
I saw the same (WAN interface off). Otherwise great job!

Is there a way to not show the VPN interfaces at all in the list? I disabled them from automatic speedtest, but they are still in the UI. Since I don't have any of them set up, there's a lot of things showing up that I don't have.

Edit:
Found where I could remove them: in /opt/share/spdmerlin.d/.interfaces_user

Last edited:

heysoundude

Very Senior Member
oh wow, this incorporates connmon data...I'll uninstall that because I can get it all right here now
there's a transatlantic jitsi session happening in another part of the house...I'll restart when things quiet down on the network
Thanks @Jack Yaz !!

Last edited:

heysoundude

Very Senior Member
Failed to load resource:
net::ERR_BLOCKED_BY_CLIENT

is there something I should be specifically looking for?

Jack Yaz

Part of the Furniture
Failed to load resource:
net::ERR_BLOCKED_BY_CLIENT

is there something I should be specifically looking for?
can you screenshot anything in red? also please elaborate on what isn't matching between the webui and cli

Jack Yaz

Part of the Furniture
HTH - I'm using the latest brave on lubuntu 20.04 - braves's blockers may have something to do with it
you are checking the console with the webui page open, right? those all look like snbforums stuff. navigate to webui page, open and clear console, refresh. check for any errors and screenshot please

Slawek P

Regular Contributor
Updated today and works great. Thank you!
One low priority you might wish to check is Download Data unit parsing - I have a feeling that when it shows 1.1 it is gigabytes recalling my past runs from cmd line.

v4 is now live and can be updated through any of the supported methods (webui, cli, amtm)

I put the thread up early as I had to rebuild it following the "6 month rule" preventing my previous thread from being used.
speed.png

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!