What's new

spdMerlin spdMerlin - v4.x - speedtest and bandwidth monitoring

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Jack Yaz

Part of the Furniture
v4.4.1
Updated 2021-08-05

spdMerlin is an internet speedtest and monitoring tool for AsusWRT Merlin with charts for daily, weekly and monthly summaries. It tracks download/upload bandwidth as well as latency, jitter and packet loss.

spdMerlin is free to use under the GNU General Public License version 3 (GPL 3.0).

spdMerlin uses Speedtest CLI

spdMerlin includes the required licenses, which must be accepted on install of spdMerlin.
As of spdMerlin v4.4.0 the Asus built-in Ookla speedtest binary is used to run the speedtests.

This script began as a user-friendly installer for a personal project developed by JGrana

A swap file is required.

This project is hosted on GitHub

Love the script and want to support future development? Any and all donations gratefully received!
PayPal donation
Buy me a coffee

Supported firmware versions
You must be running firmware Merlin 384.15/384.13_4 or Fork 43E5 (or later) Asuswrt-Merlin

Installation
Using your preferred SSH client/terminal, copy and paste the following command, then press Enter:
Code:
/usr/sbin/curl --retry 3 "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/jackyaz/spdMerlin/master/spdmerlin.sh" -o "/jffs/scripts/spdmerlin" && chmod 0755 /jffs/scripts/spdmerlin && /jffs/scripts/spdmerlin install

Usage
WebUI

spdMerlin can be configured via the WebUI, in the Addons section.

Command Line
To launch the spdMerlin menu after installation, use:
Code:
spdmerlin

If this does not work, you will need to use the full path:
Code:
/jffs/scripts/spdmerlin

Last edited:
Screenshots
ed2d2157eb.png
aca960d9fb.png

Last edited:
Changelog for v4 (since v3.6.1)
  • NEW: Charts for latency and packet loss (speedtest server dependent)
  • NEW: Option to log speedtest result URLs to Ookla website
  • NEW: Include data used in Last 10 results and CSV
  • NEW: Run speedtests from the WebUI
  • NEW: Preferred server can be set for each interface
  • NEW: Option to try to exclude/include speedtest traffic from QoS
  • NEW: Include AutoBW in spdMerlin (https://github.com/squidbillyms/AutoBW)
  • NEW: Allow naming of custom server entry
  • NEW: Configure all spdMerlin settings in the WebUI
  • IMPROVED: Check for updates in WebUI no longer needs a page refresh
  • IMPROVED: CSV export has been condensed to a combined csv with all available metrics

Last edited:
Can one simply update spdMerlin from 3.x.x. to 4.0.0, or do we have to use the terminal command?

Mine is working fine now, great job!
Somehow my WAN interface was switched off between the old 3.x version and the develop.
You guys would be better off if I didn't do any testing. I'm afraid I'm not much help.

I saw the same (WAN interface off). Otherwise great job!

Is there a way to not show the VPN interfaces at all in the list? I disabled them from automatic speedtest, but they are still in the UI. Since I don't have any of them set up, there's a lot of things showing up that I don't have.

Edit:
Found where I could remove them: in /opt/share/spdmerlin.d/.interfaces_user

Last edited:
oh wow, this incorporates connmon data...I'll uninstall that because I can get it all right here now
there's a transatlantic jitsi session happening in another part of the house...I'll restart when things quiet down on the network
Thanks @Jack Yaz !!

Last edited:
ok...troubles: UI doesn't correspond with CLI. and yes, I've cleared my browser's cache

Failed to load resource:
net::ERR_BLOCKED_BY_CLIENT

is there something I should be specifically looking for?

HTH - I'm using the latest brave on lubuntu 20.04 - braves's blockers may have something to do with it

Attachments

• console.jpg
    console.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 254
HTH - I'm using the latest brave on lubuntu 20.04 - braves's blockers may have something to do with it
you are checking the console with the webui page open, right? those all look like snbforums stuff. navigate to webui page, open and clear console, refresh. check for any errors and screenshot please

DOH! sorry

iamanidiot_sometimes.jpg

Yessiree, that did it! Thank you, kind sir!!

Updated today and works great. Thank you!
One low priority you might wish to check is Download Data unit parsing - I have a feeling that when it shows 1.1 it is gigabytes recalling my past runs from cmd line.

v4 is now live and can be updated through any of the supported methods (webui, cli, amtm)

I put the thread up early as I had to rebuild it following the "6 month rule" preventing my previous thread from being used.
speed.png

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!