What's new

Spectrum Broadband: Is this what load management (at ISP level) looks like?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Dr Mono

Regular Contributor
I have the Spectrum 500/20 plan and it has consistently provided that speed. However, starting earlier this week, I've noticed that sometimes download drops to 200-300 mbps for a few minutes and then bounces back to 500 mbps. Haven't tried measuring using it using a wired connection (need to find my USB to ethernet adapter!), but the wi-fi connection (using multiple devices) is solid at 1080-1200 mbps. Gut feeling, it feels like an ISP issue since the connections to the router are solid (no drops, etc.) and the router's log is clean. Any feedback? Suggestions?

Find your ethernet adaptor and test again (don't assume).

I'll do that. It really stinks laptops no longer include ethernet ports....
Mine has one and it's a 2022 model. Then again I look specifically for networking specs on my gear. I also have a few USB Ethernet adapters as well or other methods such as an old dock that could work in a pinch.

When in doubt check layer 1.

It could be flow management, but hard to tell for certain.

Keep in mind that most of these speed test type of sites are "best effort" from a QoS perspective, so it could be upstream at the site itself - lot of hops in between them and your computer.

Could always check with dslreports.com - if there are problems on Spectrum, you might find good info there..

Everything is back to normal. Still need to find USB dongle... I like the hub idea (HDMI, SD, Ethernet). Maybe for Xmas?

USBC or lower hubs are pretty cheap though they're docks when you add video out. I used one with a tablet for dual monitors and prior laptops as well.

I've got a plugable 7in1e dongle - p/n usbc-7in1e

works with Mac and Windows