What's new

Spectrum Internet slowdown with RT-AC86U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

GK59

Regular Contributor
So, I've recently moved from out of town from being on an extremely fast proprietary fiber optic network (Montana Opticom) on a 77 MB/s both up AND down connection straight from the wall to my router to closer in town but now on Spectrum Internet :rolleyes: 100 MB/s down, 10 MB/s up plan but of course having to use their cable modem from wall to my router. With my router enabled I'm only getting about half of their advertised speed of 100 MB/s @ around 50 MB/s or so, but normal uploads which don't seem to be affected much at all. Now, without the router enabled, i.e. wall-cable modem-router-PC, I'm getting normal (their speeds) of 100+ MB/s, again normal uploads. So, someone please tell me what I may be missing here, perhaps a setting that I may be unfamiliar with within the Merlin v 384.6, any help figuring this out would be immensely appreciated, thanks.

the cable modem they provided is an Arris TM1602

Last edited:
Add the Static IP in the router or:
  • WAN -> Internet Connection -> Special Requirement from ISP
  • MAC Address: Clone the PC MAC
Also try with another cable.

Add the Static IP in the router or:
  • WAN -> Internet Connection -> Special Requirement from ISP
  • MAC Address: Clone the PC MAC
Also try with another cable.
Refresh me, so hit the "clone" button or using the ethernet MAC address on the PC?

I hope you did a factory reset after flashing Asuswrt-Merlin.

When clicking MAC Clone, copy the MAC of the device that use to enter in the Web GUI and if you want another MAC that is not that, you have to write it manually or paste it.

Click where it says MAC Address.

Isn't it just the Physical address (MAC) under properties of LAN connection?

btw when you hit "MAC Clone" what is this bringing up necessarily?

using the Physical address (MAC) of my PC Ethernet adapter doesn't seem to work...

also, the cable modem they provided is an Arris TM1602

Last edited:
Inputting the MAC address of the PC ethernet only performs marginally better than without, from upper 40's MB/s to upper 50's.

I just went and did a speedtest on the PC and I seem to be getting near normal (expected) speeds now on it, mid 90's down, around 9 or so up, however on my laptop I'm still only getting upper 50's download.

Last edited:
Are you connecting computers via WiFi or cable? If WiFi 2.4 or 5GHz? If WiFi, under professional tab you should disable airtime fairness and universal beamforming...most devices are not compatible with those settings. You have to do this on both WiFi bands

Are you connecting computers via WiFi or cable? If WiFi 2.4 or 5GHz? If WiFi, under professional tab you should disable airtime fairness and universal beamforming...most devices are not compatible with those settings. You have to do this on both WiFi bands
PC by cable, everything else by WiFi, mostly 5 GHz, laptop on 2.4 band.

Ok, Airtime Fairness was already disabled but Universal Beam Forming wasn't but now is. What about Explicit Beamforming?

You probably won't see anything faster than 45-50 Mbps on 2.4GHz. 5GHz is much faster. I have 300/300 bandwidth and with the 86U and on 5GHz I can get the full 300 on current devices...on 2.4GHz, 45-50 tops

You probably won't see anything faster than 45-50 Mbps on 2.4GHz. 5GHz is much faster. I have 300/300 bandwidth and with the 86U and on 5GHz I can get the full 300 on current devices...on 2.4GHz, 45-50 tops
ahh so you're on Spectrum also? Yeah this laptop is old and will be updating soon, my Galaxy S7 is on 5 GHz and gets mid 90's down, near 10 up so is within normal range. We just moved and I had internet installed this past Sat and tech had it on the 300 service but I had it adjusted to 100 which is atm enough for our needs, how do you like the 300 overall? Just as you've said, I've found no discernible difference with Univ BF on or off for either band. I do recall though on my fiber optic previously on, I managed in the 60's. I appreciate your experiences, really helped with peace of mind. I

Last edited:
I guessing because you did not specify, that the problem was in a laptop using the 2.4GHz band.
Thinking back, you're right I should've stated as much, thanks. Btw, cloning or not cloning the MAC doesn't appear to make any difference and in fact without it, seems to get slightly better results on 2.4.

Last edited:
ahh so you're on Spectrum also? Yeah this laptop is old and will be updating soon, my Galaxy S7 is on 5 GHz and gets mid 90's down, near 10 up so is within normal range. We just moved and I had internet installed this past Sat and tech had it on the 300 service but I had it adjusted to 100 which is atm enough for our needs, how do you like the 300 overall? Just as you've said, I've found no discernible difference with Univ BF on or off for either band. I do recall though on my fiber optic previously on, I managed in the 60's. I appreciate your experiences, really helped with peace of mind. I
Actually, no I don't have Spectrum...I did in the past but had many service related issues. Regardless, I've had 100, 300, and 1 gigabit service from my currect provider and yes, unless you are downloading lots of files I was perfectly happy with 100 service. I was offered a free upgrade to 300 so that is what I have now.

Regardless, wireless on 2.4GHz is good for distance but is not as speedy as 5GHz.

77 MB/s both up AND down connection straight from the wall to my router to closer in town but now on Spectrum Internet :rolleyes: 100 MB/s down, 10 MB/s up plan but of course having to use their cable modem from wall to my router.

Gah - you should have stayed with the previous provider - 70/70 connection is much better than a 100/10, IMHO from a connectivity perspective - nice to see symmetric fiber up in Montana...

Anyways, check your settings for QoS perhaps on the AsusWRT box...

If that's good - check the cable from the Router to the Modem - sometimes this is a concern..

I am on Spectrum here in the Metro Detroit area. I have been on 100/10 (getting 115/12), but they bumped me to 200/10 (getting 225-240/~12). They seemed to have some issues when they upped me, but now it is running just fine (downloaded an update yesterday for Visual Studio 2017 @ 25 MBps).

Cable Modem: Arris TG1672 (Bridge Mode)
Router: RT-AC86U running ALPHA version 384.7_alpha2-g5b47594b0
Additional: Entware 64-bit, AMTM 1.3, Diversion 4.0, Skynet 6.4.0

Latest DSLReports Speed Test:
http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest/38243364

When I get some time later today, I will screen shot my settings and post.

I am on Spectrum here in the Metro Detroit area. I have been on 100/10 (getting 115/12), but they bumped me to 200/10 (getting 225-240/~12). They seemed to have some issues when they upped me, but now it is running just fine (downloaded an update yesterday for Visual Studio 2017 @ 25 MBps).

Cable Modem: Arris TG1672 (Bridge Mode)
Router: RT-AC86U running ALPHA version 384.7_alpha2-g5b47594b0
Additional: Entware 64-bit, AMTM 1.3, Diversion 4.0, Skynet 6.4.0

Latest DSLReports Speed Test:
http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest/38243364

When I get some time later today, I will screen shot my settings and post.

You and I have very similar setups with spectrum, I to am suffering from this speed limitation with 50 to 70m DOWN and 10-12m UP out of the router to PC using ethernet, and about the same speeds on the 5g wireless.

Router: RT-AC68u w/ Asuswrt-Merlin V384.9
Modem: Arris SB6141

I did a factory default reset before switching to the new Arris modem ticking the All settings box to the left as well. I did try running ethernet directly into my pc and ran a speed test with fantastic results of 220 down and 14 up. I pretty much left everything alone after factory reset and running the quick internet setup guide (screen shot of WAN settings: https://www.dropbox.com/s/lfidmh4isrguwpu/Screenshot (26).png?dl=0 ). If you could post some of your settings for comparison or any advice that would be amazing. I do have a Spare Netgear R6100 I thought about running modem into that and then out to the Asus RT-AC68 but that would be a whole new experience for me.

Inputting the MAC address of the PC ethernet only performs marginally better than without, from upper 40's MB/s to upper 50's.

I just went and did a speedtest on the PC and I seem to be getting near normal (expected) speeds now on it, mid 90's down, around 9 or so up, however on my laptop I'm still only getting upper 50's download.
Did you try the Mac of the cable modem and put it into bridge mode.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!