What's new

Spectrum wireless replace modem, router, or both

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Tim7777777

New Around Here
We have the 100mb service with spectrum and We have a old Aris dg1670 modem and a real old Wd n750 router.

we want to dump direct Tv and stream ps vue on 3 Tvs with 2nd gen fire tv and fire sticks . So really need to make things run smooth now .

I would say all three TVs we would like to connect up are no more than 25 feet away from the router and I actually have tested it and they all three can be streamed now but the WiFis direct connect ethernet slows way down and we have some minor drops . We only get about 40 MB on the Wi-Fi router .

we have devices like our iPhones which can run ac and the fire sticks Can also ,however the router and modem we have are N and The router shuts itself off periodically.

I called up spectrum and asked if I could get an AC router/modem in exchange they said I had one of the latest ones available already a fast n router and they didn't have any AC router/modems. They suggested turning the Wi-Fi on the Aris modem on and use it for a router of course it cost five dollars more a month.

On the WD N750 router we get drops all the time I can't play my game for 30 minutes usually without one drop when being directly connected with ethernet to it .

The speed on the modem using the Direct ethernet connectoon also vary between 10 and 70 but usually don't drop much

Spectrum said it wasn't Bridged properly to the router and it's causing confusion and the dropping and basically what we need to do is pay five dollars a month to activate the Aris router wifi and only use one port on it for direct Ethernet and then get a switch for the other direct Ethernet (3 computers directly connected.

It seems to me I have iPhones which can run AC iand my fire TV and sticks which run AC see I think I should have an AC router .
I don't know if I need an AC modem or whether to keep the old in modem. I assume I need AC router not sure which one though like to keep it under 100 if possible

any help in this matter is appreciated I am in the rookie category as far as knowledge
As you could tell by our equipment LOL
Thanks in advance for any help

We have the 100mb service with spectrum and We have a old Aris dg1670 modem and a real old Wd n750 router.

we want to dump direct Tv and stream ps vue on 3 Tvs with 2nd gen fire tv and fire sticks . So really need to make things run smooth now .

I called up spectrum and asked if I could get an AC router/modem in exchange they said I had one of the latest ones available already a fast n router and they didn't have any AC router/modems. They suggested turning the Wi-Fi on the Aris modem on and use it for a router of course it cost five dollars more a month.

I don't know if I need an AC modem or whether to keep the old in modem. I assume I need AC router not sure which one though like to keep it under 100 if possible

any help in this matter is appreciated I am in the rookie category as far as knowledge
As you could tell by our equipment LOL
Thanks in advance for any help

As you're finding out, sometimes Spectrum can just be evil: http://bgr.com/2017/02/01/twc-internet-speeds-complaint-lawsuit/

And the extra $5/month for wireless just because Spectrum can prevent it from operating wirelessly, once again, just evil.

I've got a Ubee dvw3201b, and talk about a project getting them to OK that but it was with BrightHouse at the time and with the help of BHNexpert on their forum. In bridge mode to the ancient D-Link D-615 (version B) router. It works, but I'm needing the upgrade on the router now it seems.

But save the fee and get your own cable-modem. If you have phone service with them you have to make sure it is with the eMTA, otherwise just look on the approved list and get one that looks good. The dg1670 is on ebay (used) for about $30, and it is DOCIS 3.0, so it really is up to the standard. You'll get your investment back fairly quickly. I'm sure there are many other excellent ones out there. But I think the consensus here is that you still need a quality router, not a cable-modem/router combo.

I even went with the cable-card in order to avoid the $8/month fee, and saved $5/month. Now they thought that was evil, and hopefully it was. :)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!