What's new

Speed dropping 100M a day. Reboot works.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Equinox

Occasional Visitor
I have a ASUS AC3100 router with 386.2_2 installed. The cable internet is 500M/20M. The speed test from the router is 440M/20M. Recently I noticed that the speed dropped almost 100M a day but stabilized at 80M/20M. After I reboot the router, the speed back to 440M/20M.

It never happened to me with older firmware until 386.2 installed. The technician came and checked the cable signal and speed was perfect. I have the QoS, traffic analyzer, guest network and IPv6 disabled, no USB devices, no USB applications. The firewall was enabled. Nothing special in the log. The RAM usage was about 42%.

Factory reset was done, but the issue still remains.

Please advice.
Thanks

Last edited:
Are you using CakeQoS en do you have spdMerlin installed with AutoBW enabled? If so, make sure you download the latest version (as the previous version didn't work properly with Cake) and make sure Exclude speedtests from QoS is enabled. I've had a similar (actually two) issue like you described, and this fixed my first one.

Are you using CakeQoS en do you have spdMerlin installed with AutoBW enabled? If so, make sure you download the latest version (as the previous version didn't work properly with Cake) and make sure Exclude speedtests from QoS is enabled. I've had a similar (actually two) issue like you described, and this fixed my first one.

His router isn't cake compatible.

Thanks for the reply. Even though I am using Merlin for years, never dig into for details.

My QoS always remains off. Even if I switch it on, I don't see "cake" option as seen on your screenshot. And I can't find AutoBW configuration or Script configuration in the menu. Am I did something wrong? I am using 386.2_2.

1.PNG

No you didn't do anything wrong, I didn't check your hardware. Your model isn't supported by CakeQoS, that's why it doesn't show.

If at the bottom of the menu on the left of the WebUI, there's no button Addons, you won't have spdMerlin installed, and if that's the case, you won't have AutoBW (automatic bandwidth calculation by spdMerlin), so you can safely ignore my post, the cause must be lying elsewhere.

My apologies for any confusion I've caused.

Best regards,
Marco

No need to apologize, your post prompted me to update all addons and now the line is running better again.

Reactions: MvW
No you didn't do anything wrong, I didn't check your hardware. Your model isn't supported by CakeQoS, that's why it doesn't show.

If at the bottom of the menu on the left of the WebUI, there's no button Addons, you won't have spdMerlin installed, and if that's the case, you won't have AutoBW (automatic bandwidth calculation by spdMerlin), so you can safely ignore my post, the cause must be lying elsewhere.

My apologies for any confusion I've caused.

Best regards,
Marco
As Wycleff said, there is no need to apologize.

Since I am using older version of router, I am curious that if the CakeQoS or some other components were built into the firmware, which specific for the router. However, those components do not compatible with the router but are running at the background, I cannot turn them off.

Yesterday I was able to get 450M/20M after reboot. This morning I am getting 310M/20M. Must be something going on in the firmware.

As Wycleff said, there is no need to apologize.

Since I am using older version of router, I am curious that if the CakeQoS or some other components were built into the firmware, which specific for the router. However, those components do not compatible with the router but are running at the background, I cannot turn them off.

Yesterday I was able to get 450M/20M after reboot. This morning I am getting 310M/20M. Must be something going on in the firmware.

If they're not compatible, they're not active at all, most likely not even compiled in the firmware for your router so not present at all, but that's a question for @RMerlin to answer. It would only eat up your resources, and that's not the way Eric codes. If I'm not mistaken CakeQoS is only available to a select number of (HND) routers. You can read more about it in the 386 release thread. I can tell you that besides my issue with spdMerlin with CakeQoS (which was compatibility issue at introduction which has now been fixed) I have not seen any other reports with similar issues as you are experiencing. That makes it highly unlikely that it's in the firmware. Most of the time those are PEBKAC or hardware related issues.

Edit: the last comment is completely based on my own experience.

Last edited:
Cake is not "something that runs in the background". It's a capability that your kernel either has, or doesn't.

Reactions: MvW