What's new

Speed Expectations for an AC5300 Router w/Gigabit Fiber?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

lifereinspired

Occasional Visitor
I have a nearly 4 year old router that’s aging & just got gigabit fiber internet (simultaneous). I’m getting full speeds when wired direct to source and also when wired direct to the router (though the router’s internal speed tests are showing half that). However, the wireless performance is...not so fast. I know that the real world speeds will never equal the theoretical marketing numbers but, having said that, I’m wondering what I could and should expect to see for speeds.

So, cutting directly to the questions: what speeds should I expect to see over 2.4ghz and 5ghz bands in the same room at say, 8ft with direct line of site to the router? What would be the best device to measure this with? Would a 2018 iPad Pro be sufficient enough spec wise? Would you expect to see bufferbloat on either band?

I’m trying to sort out what reasonable expectations are for WiFi in 2019 with gigabit fiber service. I’m also trying to tease out if I’m having issues with my router or if I was expecting too much of the new service. I’m particularly also interested to hear if bufferbloat should be seen or not. Thanks so much for any info!

Your router is over 4 years old (at least in 'design'). :)

What ISP speeds did you have before? Was the router able to give you those limits?

What firmware are you running? What Wireless mode and settings do you use? These all have an influence on what you can expect. Including if you're testing from handheld devices or more power-hungry clients like a plugged-in laptop or desktop, for example (or even another router in Bridge mode).

60% of the link speed is about the fastest you can expect on each band at close range (but not too close! At least 6' or about 2M is the closest you should be testing for maximum throughput).

At Gbps ISP speeds, bufferbloat is not an issue and you shouldn't be using QoS of any kind on the router (it is simply not needed nor recommended).

Depending on your WiFi environment and the client devices you use; a newer RT-AC86U or an RT-AX88U running RMerlin firmware will greatly improve the throughput you experience vs. the router you are currently using.

The iPad Pro you mention may have issues because of IOS 13.xxx search the forums here for information regarding that specific use case. ;)

L&LD, I have a iPad pro running IpadOS 13.2 Public Beta with zero issues with my RT-68u and Xfinity Gig. For granted when I first installed 13 while in Public Beta at the beginning of the cycle, I had to do a clean install with a complete reset of the iPad, same with my Macbook Air.

I average around 525 mbps close to my Router and around 375 downstairs in the Basement, where I have the Family Room.

It is about Channel, Channel width and anle of the antennas.

I use Channel 3 on 2.4ghz, 40mhz Channel Width, Channel 149 on 5ghz, 80mhz Channel Width, with the antennas in a W on its side. Now I did place it on a cardboard box on the top shelf of my desk, which really does not make much of a change.

Beam forming is enabled, etc, AI & QOS are off, with it running Diversion.

It is an ongoing education in this area, even for someone who’s father was a Radioman in the U.S. Air Force and I worked as a IC in the Navy on a Gator, along with worked for a Cellular company.

There is a lot of good info on the other side of this site and also in posts here and on other sites.

L&LD, I have a iPad pro running IpadOS 13.2 Public Beta with zero issues with my RT-68u and Xfinity Gig. For granted when I first installed 13 while in Public Beta at the beginning of the cycle, I had to do a clean install with a complete reset of the iPad, same with my Macbook Air.

I average around 525 mbps close to my Router and around 375 downstairs in the Basement, where I have the Family Room.

It is about Channel, Channel width and anle of the antennas.

I use Channel 3 on 2.4ghz, 40mhz Channel Width, Channel 149 on 5ghz, 80mhz Channel Width, with the antennas in a W on its side. Now I did place it on a cardboard box on the top shelf of my desk, which really does not make much of a change.

Beam forming is enabled, etc, AI & QOS are off, with it running Diversion.

It is an ongoing education in this area, even for someone who’s father was a Radioman in the U.S. Air Force and I worked as a IC in the Navy on a Gator, along with worked for a Cellular company.

There is a lot of good info on the other side of this site and also in posts here and on other sites.

Reason you use 40mhz width on 2.4ghz? Heard that is very bad practice.

I’m trying to sort out what reasonable expectations are for WiFi in 2019 with gigabit fiber service.

In good conditions and not too much load on the router realistic expectations for your 1x1 AC clients will be about 150-200Mbps throughput, 2x2 AC clients about 350-400Mbps, 3x3 AC clients may reach 550-600Mbps. Think about half of your link speed. Your ISP speed is not exactly wasted though, because your router has 2 x 5GHz radios, so only 2 x 2x2 AC clients may reach combined throughput of 800Mbps without affecting each other.

If he lives somewhere far from other WiFi networks, farm house, cottage, etc. 40MHz wide channel is possible.

Depending on your WiFi environment and the client devices you use; a newer RT-AC86U or an RT-AX88U running RMerlin firmware will greatly improve the throughput you experience vs. the router you are currently using.

Your advice is correct, but there is an exception. If the clients he has are relatively close to the router, 2 x 5GHz radios on RT-AC5300 will have better combined throughput compared to 1 x 5GHz radio on RT-AX88U. On short distances the advantage of newer radios is not that noticeable and all connected clients will share the total bandwidth available for this band only.

Last edited:
I do not have that many people around me who AP’s extend past their property line. I have at most that show up in the 2.4 band is at max 12 Beacons. 5ghz is becoming to the norm these dqys. Only things using 2.4 now days is IoT devices like thermostats, alarm systems, older Home Automation, Smart Watches.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!