What's new

Speed issues on AX11000

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ja9934

New Around Here
Hi all,

Thanks in advance for your help! I recently moved into a new home and signed up for Spectrum gig (about 970 down, 40 up), and I purchased an AX11000 to hopefully be able to fully take advantage of the speed.

Overall, the router has been reliable with good performance over distance, but even at the closest range, I am not able to get the speeds I was hoping to. Out of the box, I could never achieve speeds over 400. I made some tweaks I believe I saw suggested on this forum (factory reset, disabling 160mhz channels, and one or two other settings I believe), and this helped. I got a speed test to break 800 next to the router once, but never again, and now I consistently get 600 next to the router.

Obviously not bad at all, but I was hoping for better for the money. Is there anything else I can try? Since Amazon makes it low risk and easy, I tried plugging in a Netgear X10 and got similar results (but with worse range, so stuck with the Asus). Also FWIW, the netgear has a speedtest built into the router interface and I got 910 off of that.

I've checked all of the obvious things (every ethernet cable I can find, different positions, different devices, obvious settings like QOS which is off, manually changing channels based on wifi analyzer results). Does anyone else have any other suggestions? Am I just setting my expectations too high for this router? Thanks so much for your help.

P.S. Question while I'm here: Should I keep my two 5ghz channels on the same SSID or different? I'm just referring to 5ghz-1 and 5ghz-2, not 2.4

Hi,

What device do you use for testing? Most 2x2 mobile devices usually get up to 600Mbps only. You need to use LAN cable to get 1G rate.

As for SSID, use different ones. :)

Hi,

What device do you use for testing? Most 2x2 mobile devices usually get up to 600Mbps only. You need to use LAN cable to get 1G rate.

As for SSID, use different ones. :)

I’ve tested right next to the router on a Galaxy S10, iPhone XS Max, and Lenovo X1 carbon. I’ve tried hardwiring the Lenovo, but got very strange results (70 down) and got the same with the Netgear and modem, so I’m thinking something weird is going on with that laptop. I tried hardwiring with a usb c adapter to the galaxy s10 and also got about 600, but obviously I really need to try hardwiring another computer.

I’ve tested right next to the router on a Galaxy S10, iPhone XS Max, and Lenovo X1 carbon. I’ve tried hardwiring the Lenovo, but got very strange results (70 down) and got the same with the Netgear and modem, so I’m thinking something weird is going on with that laptop. I tried hardwiring with a usb c adapter to the galaxy s10 and also got about 600, but obviously I really need to try hardwiring another computer.
Keep some distance between the client and the router while keeping line-of-sight clear, at least 10 feet or so. If it's too close, MIMO won't work well.

Keep some distance between the client and the router while keeping line-of-sight clear, at least 10 feet or so. If it's too close, MIMO won't work well.
Thanks for the tip. Gave that a shot - unfortunately my results are pretty much unchanged.

Thanks for the tip. Gave that a shot - unfortunately my results are pretty much unchanged.
If I recall correctly, the S10 does not support 160 MHz B/W.

AX routers will not significantly increase throughput when used with AC devices. Higher link rates can be accessed only with AX devices. Right now, there are only two, the Samsung S10 phones and Intel AX200 and AX201 M.2 adapters.

If I recall correctly, the S10 does not support 160 MHz B/W.

AX routers will not significantly increase throughput when used with AC devices. Higher link rates can be accessed only with AX devices. Right now, there are only two, the Samsung S10 phones and Intel AX200 and AX201 M.2 adapters.

Would you say the speeds I’ve been getting are reasonable for an AC device? I guess I was expecting more, but if that’s pretty much the limits of AC, then that mostly puts me at ease.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!