What's new

Speed Question

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

aikidos

New Around Here
First off let me say that I never have any real wireless issues and with 2 phones, a tablet, a laptop, 2 PS3 and 3 desktops bandwidth is never really an issue. I just wanted to know why there is such a difference in speed.

I have a D-Link wireless N router. I have a 50mbps connection from my cable provider. My speed for my main desktop which is hardwired is 55mbps. The speed from my 2nd desktop which has a wireless N adapter PCI express is 32 mbps. The PS3s which are hardwired get 26mbps and my phone which is an HTC DNA with wireless N and only came out a few months ago gets 18mbps. All wireless connections are extremely strong and close to router. All speeds are tested through speedtest.net

My question is why such differences between devices when all have plenty of speed to handle a 50mbps connection. I made sure no other devices were using any bandwidth when conducting the tests. I'm mainly looking for ideas of what causes it. I don't need any specifics since it's not really a problem. Thanks guys! This is a great website for wireless advice and the tutorials have helped me out in the past. Thanks.

Throughput to wireless devices is lower because that's the nature of the beast. Your best case throughput is related to link rate and that is related to signal strength.

Phones and tablet speed will be limited by their single-antenna radios, which should have a maximum link rate of 65 Mbps if your router is properly operating in auto 20/40 mode.

Your wireless desktop is probably an N300 adapter, which will have maximum normal link rate of 130 Mbps.

Cut any link rate at least in half to start to estimate actual delivered throughput. Your wireless speeds are not unusual.

I can't explain the PS3 rates. But I'd guess it related to processor and efficiency of network stack.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!