1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

Speed up boot time ?

Discussion in 'Asuswrt-Merlin' started by Gedeon30, Dec 10, 2018.

1. Gedeon30

Gedeon30 Occasional Visitor

Hi.
    I'm now using the AC66_B1 router mainly as a bridge/repeater. The TV, receiver, nas, tv-box ... are connected through the lan ports (fixed IP) and the router connects all of them through wifi 5G to my main home wifi isp router.

Hence I don't it switched on all day, only a few hours. But the router needs between 2 and 3 minutes to start up and it takes about 2 minutes just to get the "lan-ethernet-bridge" to be fully enabled. So if only want to listen music / access nas, the router is the slowest box to start up. The rest elements start-up in way less than 30 seconds.

No entware, or other apps enabled, just basic repeater config.

Is there any way to make the router boot process a bit more faster even if the wifi needs a bunch more of seconds ?

(I don't want to add another box like a gbit switch)

Thanks.

2. EventPhotoMan

EventPhotoMan Senior Member

Why can’t you leave it on? It takes such little hydro.

3. octopus

octopus Very Senior Member

Dont use DFS channels it take more time to come up.
    Checking for radar becon take its time.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2018
  4. Gedeon30

Gedeon30 Occasional Visitor

Thanks for the suggestions.

Last week I left the router on 24/7 but I just don't need so many hours to be on. Maybe 6-8 hours a day, at most, no more.

I'll take a look to the DFS channels, but I'm not sure if it'll speed up the boot enough.

5. cmkelley

cmkelley Senior Member

Is there another reason besides "I don't need it to be on"? Turning electronics off and on frequently generally shortens their life; the relatively large temperature changes cause thermal stresses. Since you use it (I assume) more or less every day, you're doing more damage to it by turning it off and and on than by just leaving it run.

6. martinr

martinr Very Senior Member

Indeed. Not only that, which is reason enough to leave it on all the time, but I seem to remember reading that ISPs may well downgrade the service to your part-time router. I don’t know if that is still the case - or if it ever was the case (ie another urban myth).

7. EventPhotoMan

EventPhotoMan Senior Member

Then put it on a timer to turn on manually