What's new

Entware speedtest-netperf on AX-86U running Merlin 386.3_2 (though netperf server not stable?)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Chuckles67

Regular Contributor
I was diagnosing a poor broadband ADSL recently using a GL.iNet Mango GL-MT300N-v2GL router running openwrt, and found this command line script for assessing internet throughput and latency:
https://github.com/openwrt/packages/blob/master/net/speedtest-netperf/files/README.md
For the poor broadband ADSL I saw the ping latencies are very different during download or upload (roughly 50mS down versus 1000mS up, under network load) which was news for me - I hadn't seen asymmetrical latencies before. So then I wanted to try the same speedtest-netperf script on Merlin AX-86U which I use with broadband cable.

Using SSH to the Merlin router, here are the commands that worked for me.
Code:
# Install and permissions.
opkg update
opkg install netperf
opkg install coreutils-mktemp
opkg install coreutils-seq
opkg install procps-ng-pgrep
cd /tmp
wget https://raw.githubusercontent.com/openwrt/packages/master/net/speedtest-netperf/files/speedtest-netperf.sh
chmod +x ./speedtest-netperf.sh

# Run the speedtest.  Consider changing the netperf host server using -H option.
/tmp/speedtest-netperf.sh

Happy to see my broadband cable has similar ping latencies of 10mS during downloads and 11mS during uploads. I use Cake QoS and the reported speeds are close to the QoS bandwidth that I set.

Happy New Year folks.

UPDATE: this install may be unstable. After several successful runs of the script, I saw this warning.
Code:
WARNING: netperf returned errors. Results may be inaccurate!
I rebooted the router after running the script - the warning persisted, and removing and installing netperf didn't help. Then I tried changing the netperf server, and then test runs with netperf-west and netperf-eu are successful, e.g.:
Code:
# Successful.
/tmp/speedtest-netperf.sh -H netperf-west.bufferbloat.net

# Successful.
/tmp/speedtest-netperf.sh -H netperf-eu.bufferbloat.net

# Not successful.
/tmp/speedtest-netperf.sh -H netperf-east.bufferbloat.net
Perhaps the netperf servers are not stable.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!