What's new

Splitting a 10GbE cable

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Don Matteson

Occasional Visitor
What happens if I splice and split a cat 7 cable in a way that the splices are at a distance and I keep things shielded. Like If I want to share a 10GbE port off my freenas with 2 workstations.
Will Ip addresses find their way ok ? Has anyone tried such a thing. Do some routers just simply split and share a connection ?

Like I have sceen a RJ45 splitter box that makes one RJ45 port 3 ports. What happens here in that case.
Can that type of splitter work in a windows peer to peer setup ?
For me I am the only one who uses my 3 workstations.
Thank you !

This is probably what he is referring to.
I don't think that's what he's referring to. I just think he's using the wrong terminology. He said "RJ45 splitter box that makes one RJ45 port 3 ports" which is impossible by just "splitting" the cable. Therefore it must be a switch (or hub).

I imagine he thinks it works like analog (i.e. audio/RF) cable.

could use 10 mbit single pair i suppose.
or maybe counting the input port as one, logical.

This It is a matter of curiosity and I wonder what it would do if i did try it and I still might. I found I can upload a picture I did not see this when I tried to add it yesterday. The picture shows what I mean. I need to study on what a hub/switch does exactly and how the TCP/IP protocol sees it. I wonder if there are ways to splice into a cable in a way that wont interfere with the impedance, like spacing out the splices and covering them with foil. Im probably one of the few that would try it. If the TCP/IP protocal can not deal with it then it would be a total waist of time.

Attachments

• 10GigPipe.jpg
    10GigPipe.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 650
Last edited:
No that definitely won't work. Ethernet doesn't work like that, you can't just "splice" cables together.

hmm so I wonder how much this effecting my network speed.
The long splice if the line is coming into the house and you can see its going into my router. They are soldered. Putting ends on is a whole other topic I need to look at.

Attachments

• splice-.jpg
    splice-.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 647
I looked at the rj45 specs Colin:
NOTE: Don't support 2 or more computers that connect to the internet simultaneously, ONLY 1 output port is working. When one port is connected to the network, other ports devices must be disconnected.

I guess known protocols must be followed and I need to learn them. When it comes to narrowing down problems and diagnostics it would really complicate matters.

All of this has really got my interest in how hubs and switches work. !

Forget about RJ45, that's just a connector type. To understand how it works you need to learn about Ethernet over twisted pairs.

A word of advice, don't confuse the word "switch" with that of a traditional switch, like a light switch. They are totally different things.

OK I've found that device in your picture. What a horrid little thing! As you can see you can only have one device plugged in at a time.

View attachment 14952
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07G1BKVBV/?tag=snbforums-20

I can't see why anyone would want to use a device like this and why is this better than just unplugging a cable into the single RJ-45 jack and plugging something else in. Spend $16.99 and you can have a five port gigabit switch and would allow you to connect upto four devices simultaneously.

This harkins back to the days of thick yellow cable, coring tools, and vampire taps !
Then you could do it the way proposed.
At 10 Mbit if i remember correctly.

CaptanSTX: Im after 10GbE and those switches so far what I see are too big noisy or $$$ just made cloud driven stupid.

What you want at a price you want will likely take a few more years for the market to catch up just like it did between FAST Ethernet and Gigabit.

CaptanSTX: Im after 10GbE and those switches so far what I see are too big noisy or $$$ just made cloud driven stupid.
I thought you might say that. Two points;

1. Do your clients have 10GbE cards?
2. Good luck getting 10Gb over a spliced cable. The only reason you can get that speed at all is because the cable specifications are really high.

EDIT:
3. You can still only have one device plugged in at a time.

Ethernet switches are “packet” switching devices and not like the analog phone switch. The receiving circuitry accumulates the bits from each port into a memory buffer and then forwards the packet to the next device in the network chain. They are fast enough that they run, net, at full line speed between any two ports.

The sketch posted reminded me of the current loop topology used for analog telephone.

hmm so I wonder how much this effecting my network speed.
The long splice if the line is coming into the house and you can see its going into my router. They are soldered. Putting ends on is a whole other topic I need to look at.
What exactly is spliced there ?
CAT5 and an ethernet patch cable ?
Look at the article i posted a link to. About the best you could get is 100 mbit/sec or FAST Ethernet speeds with that approach. And the signaling pairs have to be twisted pairs to avoid rf interference or even 60 cycle pickup.

btw, what is your isp downlink/uplink versus the speedtest result ?
Or is this a completely private network ?

Last edited: