What's new

Splitting WLAN from LAN

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

datan

Occasional Visitor
Hi all,

I would like to create a different subnet for my WLAN (from the physical ports). I tried to tinker with the dnsmasq.conf but it doesn't quite work. I think the LAN section is conflicting with the WLAN section. How can I split the WLAN from the LAN? Or should I have individual entries for each of the LAN ports?

See attached files, thanks!

thanks!

pid-file=/var/run/dnsmasq.pid
user=nobody
bind-dynamic
interface=br0
interface=pptp*
no-dhcp-interface=pptp*
no-resolv
servers-file=/tmp/resolv.dnsmasq
no-poll
no-negcache
cache-size=1500
min-port=4096
bogus-priv
domain-needed
dhcp-range=lan,192.168.2.2,192.168.2.254,255.255.255.0,86400s
dhcp-option=lan,3,192.168.2.1
dhcp-option=lan,6,208.67.222.222,208.67.220.220
dhcp-option=lan,252,"\n"
dhcp-authoritative
dhcp-name-match=set:wpad-ignore,wpad
dhcp-ignore-names=tag:wpad-ignore
dhcp-script=/sbin/dhcpc_lease
script-arp

interface=eth5
dhcp-range=eth5,192.168.10.100,192.168.10.120,255.255.255.0,86400s
dhcp-option=eth5,3,192.168.10.1

Attachments

• dns.txt
    8.7 KB · Views: 120
Last edited:
Not sure if that's possible w/ Merlin (at least using the GUI, maybe from the CLI). The problem is NOT DNSMasq per se. It's the fact that the wired and wireless network interfaces are *bridged* by default. To get the change you want, you need to *first* remove the wireless network interface from that bridge (usually br0) so it stands alone, then configure it separately w/ its own IP network, DHCP server, etc., using DNSMasq.

So I recommend digging around the forum further to see if someone has already accomplished that (probably has been done).

yup that's what I was thinking needs to be done (splitting WLAN or the physical ports from the bridge). Hoping someone has done it before.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!