What's new

SPONSORED: How Powerline Can Solve Your Wi-Fi Woes

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

thiggins

Mr. Easy
Staff member
trendnet-cc0.jpg
There's a better way to get WiFi Everywhere™.

Read on SmallNetBuilder

whats the performance like? WIll i get better than 200Mb/s (thats with a 2Gb/s rated powerline the last time i used it).

Hard to say, I have a 600Mbps rated netgear powerline adapter, and can get close to 400Mbps with a distance of around 30 ft, though only if the right outlets are used.

They are sensitive to which side of the circuit breaker panel you are connected to.

I currently use my R7800 and 1 wired AP since I was able to run Ethernet where I needed, but if I could not run Ethernet where needed, I would properly use powerline to connect the AP, though it would not be ideal.

Since I do backups to my NAS (2 desktop PCs, 2 laptops, and 2 smartphoness) is sucks too have a backup go at like 25-30MB/s when a wired device will backup at over 100MB/s

even saturating a gigabit connection, it is painfully slow, and networking companies are still price gouging on 10GbE.

Hard to say, I have a 600Mbps rated netgear powerline adapter, and can get close to 400Mbps with a distance of around 30 ft, though only if the right outlets are used.

They are sensitive to which side of the circuit breaker panel you are connected to.

I currently use my R7800 and 1 wired AP since I was able to run Ethernet where I needed, but if I could not run Ethernet where needed, I would properly use powerline to connect the AP, though it would not be ideal.

Since I do backups to my NAS (2 desktop PCs, 2 laptops, and 2 smartphoness) is sucks too have a backup go at like 25-30MB/s when a wired device will backup at over 100MB/s

even saturating a gigabit connection, it is painfully slow, and networking companies are still price gouging on 10GbE.
i use the 2Gb/s powerline.
I use 2nd hand SFP+ NICs with a cheap SFP+ switch (mikrotik) and SFP+ direct. Thats how to get 10Gb/s cheap. The other way is to get boards with 10Gbe.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!