What's new

Sponsored: How To Get Fast, Reliable Wi-Fi Roaming

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

thiggins

Mr. Easy
Staff member
edimaxhousecutaway.jpg
Stop struggling with multiple SSIDs. There is an easier way.

Read on SmallNetBuilder

"Intelligent Dynamic Roaming Learn System" Is not on Edimax's website or in any of their product manuals. It's not even described anywhere I can find... pretty sure this is all fake.

"Intelligent Dynamic Roaming Learn System" Is not on Edimax's website or in any of their product manuals. It's not even described anywhere I can find... pretty sure this is all fake.
You're right that Edimax doesn't describe it in their literature. But I asked them about 802.11k/v/r support and they provided the description of the technology, which I also included in the review.

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wire...200-dual-band-home-wi-fi-roaming-kit-reviewed

No matter what they are using, I confirmed roaming was pretty good as part of the review.

I'm curious about how the two units in this product communicate with each other. For instance, if you're connected to the AP that's in "extender" mode, it will need to send your traffic to the other AP, then to the router and so on. From what I know, bandwidth could be halved in that case if the extender mode unit is using the same radio to receive and send traffic.

Does anyone know how it works in this regard? Does it use another band to "backhaul" traffic?

Thanks for the reply. It helps (especially on the SSID stuff I didn't know), but not completely in the scenario I'm talking about.

Specifically, the article you linked talks about the DS and assumes that all AP's will have some sort of access to the DS. Presumably via ethernet.

I'm wondering in the case of this product, the extender mode unit does not have a ethernet DS connection so it must use WiFi to connect back to the DS. What radio does it use to do this?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!