What's new

Spoof email purported to be from Norton

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

SSri

Regular Contributor
I have an MBAM real time, which is a permanent licence - 10 years old — associated with one of the emails, which is no longer used except personal communications.

I use a different email for shopping and a lot of them get forwarded via hide my IP.

My AV is with bitdefender for 2 devices. It is due for renewal in 2 months. This account does not use hide my IP yet.

I never used Norton before.

This morning , I have received a renewal email from Norton for 2 devices priced at USD 499 - Norton security for 2 years. It shows auto renewed unless cancelled. Strangely, the email got re-directed to my email thru the hide my IPS.

I do think it is a spoof / phishing email. I am thinking of calling my card companies and put a note to track my cards and ignore this email. I can’t see where it came from.

Is there anything, which I can do.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Not spoof , it's a scam. You have no account with Norton so just delete and ignore.

Simple rule : never open an email if you don't know the sender and didn't invite then to mail you,.
Look at the email title, that should be enough to tell you what action to take.

Any mail saying your subscription is due for a product you've never had should be deleted immediately.

I use eMClient for mail , that allows to block the mail AND the senders domain.

Last edited:
The main method of spotting these scams is to hover your mouse pointer over any hyperlink within the email, and see the URL at the bottom of your mail client (most clients should do that). It's generally fairly obvious when you are getting redirected at a scam website by looking at the target.

This morning , I have received a renewal email from Norton for 2 devices priced at USD 499 - Norton security for 2 years. It shows auto renewed unless cancelled. Strangely, the email got re-directed to my email thru the hide my IPS.
This is a really common email scam. My ISP (and I'm sure most others) normally block these before they even get to your inbox. They're so obvious and always follow the same format. I'd normally not even be aware of them, but occasionally my ISP's email filter will stop working (e.g. maintenance, cock-up, etc.) and then I'll receive multiple emails a day, every day, until they fix it.

I get a lot of these e-mails in my ISP inbox. Just be careful not to click when you hover over links. I tend to have a happy clicker finger, so I don’t bother.

Also a long-time eMclient user here (got a lifetime licence). These guys deserve more visibility, they are a very decent alternative to Outlook, and development is very active.

Thx every one for chipping in. The good part of the spam was it was sent to an alias email ID, which I deleted immediately.

There are no hyper links over the Norton logo. Just a download button. The email was from another alias email ID@xxx.com from a very popular service provider. I really doubt if it is even a generated alias email ID.

It’s one of those spam / phishing. We get a few of those by email and texts.

Cheers

Last edited:
After confirming that it's spam, another thing you can do with some ISP's is to forward the spam email AS AN ATTACHMENT to your ISP's email address for handling missed spam, if they have such an address/system in place (e.g., "missed-spam@xxx.xxx" or similar, where xxx.xxx is your service provider).

I get a lot of these e-mails in my ISP inbox. Just be careful not to click when you hover over links. I tend to have a happy clicker finger, so I don’t bother.

Same here - get them all the time on my ISP-provided account - they have a "report spam" button, but I don't really think it does anything these days...

Heard that new signups for that provider are not even offered email accounts, which might explain the lack of effort managing the platform they have.