What's new

Spotify Connect and R7800

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Wigster

Occasional Visitor
Hi

This is a bit desperate, but I really can't think of anything else than my router that could be causing the issue, and you guys here are very knowledgeable.

Router: R7800 running the latest Voxel (1.0.2.83)

Something in the last couple of months has started blocking Spotify Connect player announcements. I have no real idea how this works, but the players can advertise on the local network and in addition get registered in the account of the Spotify user through the cloud. So I can control any player that is logged in as me even if I am on a different network (through the cloud), but I should be able to see and control any player that happens to be on the same network as my Spotify app (e.g. on the phone) at that moment locally, even if I am logged into a different account.

It's the second functionality that used to work but stopped. There are some options in the apps and the players as to whether they should see/advertise locally, but all these are turned on. Any Spotify app is a player than can be controlled by other apps on other devices. I also have a bunch of software Spotify players running on a server, so I can actually do the following:

* A local Spotify Desktop app in the same server as the software Spotify players, sees all the players.
* If the player is on a different device than the Spotify app, it can only be seen if it's the same account, i.e. it goes through the cloud.
* Switching off the firewall on the machine with the player/app does not change this.
* Bonjour discovery seems to be working ok on my network, in case it's something like this, although the Connect players have never appeared in the Bonjour device list

This has led me to conclude that it must be the router which is blocking the announcement traffic somehow, and at least since a few Voxel versions ago (although it's most likely my changing some setting that has caused this). Does anyone have any idea what this could be?

I also run a pi-hole which functions as my DHCP server, in case this might also be related.

Thanks!

Difficult to give an answer.
I'm assuming all devices get an IP-address in the same subnet?
Can you ping the players from the app? Or can you ping the app from the players?
is everything connected Wired? Or Wireless, or a combination of both?

As I assume the announcements are broadcast based, all traffic on the R7800 should stay in the bridge br0.
So this means that only ebtables could have an effect.
But as long you didn't enable Guest WiFi, the ebtables should not contain any rules and thus allow all traffic.

also, it might be that Spotify is relying on 5353 (multicast DNS).
as you mention you have a Pihole, some instructions also configure PiHole to run on 5353 and then use iptables to redirect all DNS to 5353 -> in that case Pihole might be answering the DNS records, instead of the actual devices that should.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!