What's new

SSH Brute Force Protection - sshd_bfp - where in GUI?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

bengalih

I see the nvram variable 'sshd_bfp=1' but I don't know where this option is in the gui, and/or if any of the settings are configurable?

Is there a way if you already have a console session open in one window you can reset this count by restarting a service?
I have locked myself out a few times and been unable to open another session apart from the one I already had enabled.

I'm pretty sure I tried restarting ssh before, but that didn't seem to do it.

It's not a count it's a status 0 = off / 1 = on
Yes I understand it is on/off. I am asking:

a) where that toggle option is in the GUI, because it isn't with the other SSH settings.
b) Is there another configuration variable/file on the system that allows you to tweak the brute force settings.

thanks.

Looking at @ColinTaylor 's response it would appear to be either on or off as the killall just terminates the process. However poking around you might find other attributes to "protect". I have a feeling though it's limited to on/off though.

Ok thanks guys. Just to confirm, there is no GUI option for this? I feel like there used to be.
If not, what would be the best way to toggle it after setting the nvram variable (without reboot).

Bump

Making some changes and not sure if I have disabled this by mistake!

Can somebody help me with the command to check the protect_srv status?

Many thanks!

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!