What's new

SSH connection fails from some IPs

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

distilled

Would anyone mind taking a peek at this configuration and log and mention if you see anything that would prevent SSH from letting me connect from some (internal) addresses and not others? A way to look at banned or blocked IP addresses, maybe.

The connection fails from a Docker container that is a different IP scope than the router, a 172.30.x.x address, and it also fails from outside the container, on the RasPi that the Docker is hosted on. That RasPi is on the same 192.168.75.0/24 net the router is on. So this problem isn't related to Docker. The SSH connection to the Asus works fine from other workstations, just not this Pi.

SSH Brute Force Protection, Skynet and Diversion are all off (for troubleshooting purposes) and I still cannot connect. Password login is also temporarily enabled, for troubleshooting purposes.

This container connects to two different Asus routers, one of them across a VPN. This problem popped up several times over the past few weeks for the remote router, but it is now happening to both. Connecting with password also fails, so this isn't a key permission issue, it is a connection that is failing.

FWIW, I see no Dropbear entries in the log from connection attempts, so the actual problem is likely not related to the Asus, but I am hopeful someone might nudge me in the right direction anyway.

Forgot to mention that the Asus and Pi are connected via Ethernet, not WiFi, and also that I can surf (80 & 8443 both) from the Pi to the Asus.

ssh -vvv -p 22220 MYLOGIN@192.168.75.254
OpenSSH_7.9p1 Raspbian-10+deb10u2, OpenSSL 1.1.1d 10 Sep 2019
debug1: Reading configuration data /etc/ssh/ssh_config
debug1: /etc/ssh/ssh_config line 19: Applying options for *
debug2: resolve_canonicalize: hostname 192.168.75.254 is address
debug2: ssh_connect_direct
debug1: Connecting to 192.168.75.254 [192.168.75.254] port 22220.
debug1: connect to address 192.168.75.254 port 22220: Connection timed out
ssh: connect to host 192.168.75.254 port 22220: Connection timed out

sshconfig.jpg

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!