What's new

SSH exposed commands

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

HuskyHerder

I have my RT-AC5300 (merlin powered) setup as my primary devices connected to my modem, I have used one of my RP-68U in a wired AP mode setup.

The 5300 provides WiFi and LAN capabilities to family devices and the 68U is used to provide WiFi to the kids, which also allows me to toggle off the WiFi without affecting the home devices. I know I could do this with the 5300 but I wanted a way to disable the WiFi independently and never miss a beat on the 5300. The Mrs works from home so uptime is essential on the 5300.

I setup DNS filter on the 5300 so that anything that comes through the 68U gets filtered with OpenDNS family, which was more useful to me, than maintaining a separate list of individual devices. In my testing it works perfectly.

The Mrs can do this quite easily (disable/enable WiFi) through the GUI.

I see the 68U has a ssh enable feature. Is there a command and would it work on non merlin units to disable the wifi? Rather than always using the GUI ? I am able to login to the 68U, but the commands are beyond me.

I know a lot of the stuff may not be exposed as merlin is not installed. I did a little googling and forum searching but most of the results, I came up with, were way back in 2014, and 2016. Thats a long time to go with lots of changes and updates.

In the future I would like to replace the 68U with something truly merlin powered but, finances don't allow that right now. Gotta use whats available. :)

I see the 68U has a ssh enable feature. Is there a command and would it work on non merlin units to disable the wifi? Rather than always using the GUI ? I am able to login to the 68U, but the commands are beyond me.
This might be a question best asked in the "ASUS AC Routers & Adapters" forum. All of Merlin's firmwares are Broadcom based whereas the RP-AC68U is a Realtek device so the commands are different.

I have my RT-AC5300 (merlin powered) setup as my primary devices connected to my modem, I have used one of my RP-68U in a wired AP mode setup.

The 5300 provides WiFi and LAN capabilities to family devices and the 68U is used to provide WiFi to the kids, which also allows me to toggle off the WiFi without affecting the home devices. I know I could do this with the 5300 but I wanted a way to disable the WiFi independently and never miss a beat on the 5300. The Mrs works from home so uptime is essential on the 5300.

I setup DNS filter on the 5300 so that anything that comes through the 68U gets filtered with OpenDNS family, which was more useful to me, than maintaining a separate list of individual devices. In my testing it works perfectly.

The Mrs can do this quite easily (disable/enable WiFi) through the GUI.

I know a lot of the stuff may not be exposed as merlin is not installed. I did a little googling and forum searching but most of the results, I came up with, were way back in 2014, and 2016. Thats a long time to go with lots of changes and updates.

In the future I would like to replace the 68U with something truly merlin powered but, finances don't allow that right now. Gotta use whats available. :)

HI, if you do find out a list of commands I'd be very interested in seeing them. I want to be able to activate/deactivate VPNs on an AC-86U. Used Merlin for years but as I needed AIMesh had to use the stock firmware recently. How I wish they'd open up their AIMesh so it could be included in Merlin.

On my 5300 this is what I use to disable/enable the VPN prior/after a scheduled reboot. I found it in some thread around here, where merlin was answering the same question. Does that help ?

VPN off
Code:
service stop_vpnserver1

VPN on
Code:
service start_vpnserver1

Edit : I see that you were indeed referencing to stock, my bad, just glassed over that. No coffee yet!

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!