1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

SSH exposed commands

Discussion in 'Asuswrt-Merlin' started by HuskyHerder, Jun 17, 2018.

1. HuskyHerder

HuskyHerder Regular Contributor

I have my RT-AC5300 (merlin powered) setup as my primary devices connected to my modem, I have used one of my RP-68U in a wired AP mode setup.

The 5300 provides WiFi and LAN capabilities to family devices and the 68U is used to provide WiFi to the kids, which also allows me to toggle off the WiFi without affecting the home devices. I know I could do this with the 5300 but I wanted a way to disable the WiFi independently and never miss a beat on the 5300. The Mrs works from home so uptime is essential on the 5300.

I setup DNS filter on the 5300 so that anything that comes through the 68U gets filtered with OpenDNS family, which was more useful to me, than maintaining a separate list of individual devices. In my testing it works perfectly.

The Mrs can do this quite easily (disable/enable WiFi) through the GUI.

I see the 68U has a ssh enable feature. Is there a command and would it work on non merlin units to disable the wifi? Rather than always using the GUI ? I am able to login to the 68U, but the commands are beyond me.

I know a lot of the stuff may not be exposed as merlin is not installed. I did a little googling and forum searching but most of the results, I came up with, were way back in 2014, and 2016. Thats a long time to go with lots of changes and updates.

In the future I would like to replace the 68U with something truly merlin powered but, finances don't allow that right now. Gotta use whats available. :)

2. Please support SNBForums! Just click on this link before you buy something from Amazon and we'll get a small commission on anything you buy. Thanks!
  3. ColinTaylor

ColinTaylor Part of the Furniture

This might be a question best asked in the "ASUS AC Routers & Adapters" forum. All of Merlin's firmwares are Broadcom based whereas the RP-AC68U is a Realtek device so the commands are different.

4. HuskyHerder

HuskyHerder Regular Contributor

Please support SNBForums! Just click on this link before you buy something from Amazon and we'll get a small commission on anything you buy. Thanks!