What's new

SSH : impossible to activate

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

BEF33

Occasional Visitor
Hello,
I would like to activate SSH on a router AC88U. But it's impossible. I restart several times. And I do administration, system etc... and I apply but my modifications are not memorized...
Please help me
Many thanks
BR
FB

Are you saying you change the Enable SSH setting from No to either LAN or WAN + LAN, select Apply, but the setting goes back to No?

Which firmware are you running?

Which firmware were you running before you updated to your present firmware?

Thanks for your response...
Yes that's it exactely.
My firmware : Asuswrt-Merlin version 384.9
The firmware before was the official asuswrt but I don't know the version

In fact it's impossible to change anything...any modifications are not memorized afterwards

First question: did you carry out a reset to factory default settings AFTER flashing with 384.9?

Which instructions did you follow to help you install Merlin’s firmware?

Last edited:
1) No
2) Instructions :
- put the router in recovery mode by keeping the reset button pressed when switching on,
- access by entering the IP address of the router in the URL bar: 192.168.1.1,
- install asuswrt-Merlin,
- waiting until the message: «Receive file size = 39784510 Upload completed. System is going to reboot. Please wait a few moments. "

My web browser is Firefox. I have already done all my basics settings. But, now...impossible to change anything...mysterious...
Ok I will try another web browser...

1) No
2) Instructions :
- put the router in recovery mode by keeping the reset button pressed when switching on,
- access by entering the IP address of the router in the URL bar: 192.168.1.1,
- install asuswrt-Merlin,
- waiting until the message: «Receive file size = 39784510 Upload completed. System is going to reboot. Please wait a few moments. "

Regardless of the browser, it seems you have not reset the router back to factory default settings after flashing Merlin’s firmware. You must carry out a factory reset to wipe out all previous settings so that your router is “clean”. You can then manually insert your personal settings.

Ok I 'll do again all the settings of my router this evening, and will use this guide.
Hope you will be connected ;-)

Hello,
I would like to activate SSH on a router AC88U. But it's impossible. I restart several times. And I do administration, system etc... and I apply but my modifications are not memorized...
Please help me
Many thanks
BR
FB
Do you have any addons installed? Skynet (secure mode) will turn off the ability to do SSH over Wan.

Do you have any addons installed? Skynet (secure mode) will turn off the ability to do SSH over Wan.

In #4 the OP says “In fact it's impossible to change anything...any modifications are not memorized afterwards”. So it seems it was pot luck as to which failed-to-set setting first caught his attention. Nevertheless, I hadn’t realised Skynet’s secure mode stops SSH over WAN, so I’m very grateful for that bit of info.

KIT, BR, FB?
Night Riders or Baywatch anyone? What about Dallas?

In #4 the OP says “In fact it's impossible to change anything...any modifications are not memorized afterwards”. So it seems it was pot luck as to which failed-to-set setting first caught his attention. Nevertheless, I hadn’t realised Skynet’s secure mode stops SSH over WAN, so I’m very grateful for that bit of info.
Didn't see that reply as I started my reply and walked away for a bit before I submitted. I'll sit over here in the corner and watch now. :(

KIT, BR, FB?
Night Riders or Baywatch anyone? What about Dallas?
I'm sure I'm missing the context of this but I was more Baywatch....other shows were before my time. I know about them but didnt watch. Was more Baywatch, In Living Color, Saved by the Bell..... o_O

Edit: N/m I see the reference in post #10.

I'm sure I'm missing the context of this but I was more Baywatch....other shows were before my time. I know about them but didnt watch. Was more Baywatch, In Living Color, Saved by the Bell..... o_O

Edit: N/m I see the reference in post #10.
This is all too modern for me: I’m more Bonanza and Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea.

Hello martinr and everyone,

1) @thelonelycoder :
KIT : keep in touch
BR : Best Regards
FB : fot my name and surname

2) I am on the L&LD’s guide:
I don't understand "custom settings to the jffs partition". Is it the same thing as "backup cfg file" ?

Hello martinr and everyone,

1) @thelonelycoder :
KIT : keep in touch
BR : Best Regards
FB : fot my name and surname

2) I am on the L&LD’s guide:
I don't understand "custom settings to the jffs partition". Is it the same thing as "backup cfg file" ?

I’m not exactly sure at the monent; I’ll have a look. But I’m reasonably sure that if it doesn’t make sense, then you don’t have any so go to the next step.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!