What's new

SSH in Merlin vs DD-WRT

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

tmorris1

Occasional Visitor
I ran a SSH server on my Cisco E3000 running DD-WRT. I have a key generated that I used in DD-WRT that was used with PUTTY as the client. I now have an AC66U that is running Merlin. I copied the key into Merlin and enabled SSHD, but it will not connect. Is the key format in Merlin different than DD-WRT?

Asuswrt-Merlin uses Dropbear, so it will take whatever key format Dropbear can support. No idea what DD-WRT uses.

DD-WRT uses Dropbear as well, that is why I was surprised it didn't work. The key was generated with Putty just like the process that is described for Dropbear.

I came form DD-WRT also to Merlins Firmware and the key for SSH works with no problem, I just pasted from the BEGIN-- ------ to the END -----, no other modifications I generated the key with putty also.

I finally got my SSH server working. The same key worked, but with DD-WRT I had to login with "root" as the username. With the Merlin firmware I had to login with the same username that I logged into the router web interface with.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!