What's new

SSH Key & Splitting SSID's on Orbi - Voxel FW v.9.2.5.1.33SF-HW

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

BritinMA

Occasional Visitor
Hello,

I've been running Voxel's FW on my R9000 for a few weeks now, and decided it was time to put it onto my Orbi network (w 1 satellite).

Due to a lot of 2.4Ghz only smart home devices, I need the 2.4/5 SSID's seperated; I did this the "normal" way, but I noted that at some point, it reverts to one SSID for both; This can cause issues.

Code:
config set wla_ssid="5GHz Network Name"
config commit
reboot
config get wla_ssid

It works, but later reverts. Has anyone else has this happen?

Also, does anyone know how to get the SSH key so that I can SSH to the router without entering my password each time? Probably very basic, but on the R9000 you HAVE to use a key to SSH, and I'd like that to be the case on the orbi.

Thanks!

Hello,

I've been running Voxel's FW on my R9000 for a few weeks now, and decided it was time to put it onto my Orbi network (w 1 satellite).

Due to a lot of 2.4Ghz only smart home devices, I need the 2.4/5 SSID's seperated; I did this the "normal" way, but I noted that at some point, it reverts to one SSID for both; This can cause issues.

Code:
config set wla_ssid="5GHz Network Name"
config commit
reboot
config get wla_ssid

It works, but later reverts. Has anyone else has this happen?

Also, does anyone know how to get the SSH key so that I can SSH to the router without entering my password each time? Probably very basic, but on the R9000 you HAVE to use a key to SSH, and I'd like that to be the case on the orbi.

Thanks!

(a) To set a separate SSID for the 5 GHz network on your Orbi RBR:
• From telnet/ssh console run
Code:
nvram set wla_ssid="NAME OF YOUR 5GHZ NETWORK"
nvram set allow_diff_ssid=1
nvram commit
• Reboot your RBR and RBS
• Set “allow_diff_ssid” in nvram to “0” to disable separate SSIDs.
NOTE: It is not recommended to separate the SSIDs. Your connection could be unstable. Under your own risk.

Voxel.

NOTE: It is not recommended to separate the SSIDs. Your connection could be unstable. Under your own risk.

Hi Voxel,

First, THANK YOU for providing this fantastic firmware. It brings a new life to netgear routers.

You say it is not recommended; Is this something specific to your firmware? I've split the SSID's on this router for almost 2 years using stock firmware, with no adverse effects.

Also, is it possible to SSH without password (ie using keys?)

Thanks again.

Also, is it possible to SSH without password (ie using keys?)
I don't have an Orbi, but I think, as you also already have SSH with key on R9000, easiest is probably to copy the /root/.ssh/authorized_keys from R9000 to the same location on Orbi.

And iirc, probably you'd want to put the overlay on USB (as described in quickstart) otherwise I think the change is lost after a reboot.

Actually for now, I shelved this project and the Orbi's - when I get time I will try again; I was seeing the backhaul issue with the satellite after splitting the SSID's, and CPU usage was very high.

That is a great idea though, R.Gerrits, and I will do that when I get the time to mess around again.

For now, I have gone back to the R9000 / X10 which is also running Voxel, and doing so very well.

I split the guest network... that way I end up with 3 visible networks... combined, 2.4 & 5.0.

That seems to be working very well for now.

Good luck (and thank you Voxel!)

I split the guest network... that way I end up with 3 visible networks... combined, 2.4 & 5.0.

That seems to be working very well for now.

Good luck (and thank you Voxel!)
How did you split the guest network SSIDs? Do you have any disconnects between the satellites and the router?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!