What's new

ssh out hangs on wifi at channel 0: open confirm rwindow 0 rmax 32768

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

J.L. Hill

New Around Here
SSH WAN connections through 5Ghz WiFi hang after/at password entry (channel 0: open confirm rwindow 0 rmax 32768) on an Intel 8260 (rev 3a) card connecting to an RT-AC66U on 380.69_2 firmware.

From a room a short distance from my router (with 4 out of 5 bars on wifi 5Ghz), I cannot make a WAN SSH connection to any server. SSH hangs at: channel 0: open confirm rwindow 0 rmax 32768

From the same location on 5Ghz, I can SSH to a local server on my network, just not to a remote server.

If I am in the same room as the router, I can SSH to any remote server with no problem.

From whatever location I am at, I never have any problem with web browsing, etc.

The problem does not occur on 2.4Ghz

It is not a software issue as I have the same experience whether using Linux (Debian 9) or Windows 10 (putty). It is not a general issue with the router as I have no SSH problem on my Android from any distance.

That would lead me to believe that it is some issue with my Intel 8260 (rev 3a) wireless card. This is a recent issue, so potentially related to my recent upgrade of the router firmware to 380.69_2 .

I understand the first advice may be to downgrade the firmware, but I thought I'd ask here first, as maybe it's something else, and downgrading isn't the direction I'd like to go (being stuck in some pre 380 version). And I'm not all that comfortable repeatedly flashing the router back through the versions to see where the problem may lie; it may be rare, but I once totally bricked a very expensive router after flashing firmware a few dozen times.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Jeff

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!