What's new

SSL based VPN for embedded routers?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mgraves

Regular Contributor
Does anyone here know of an SSL-based VPN connectivity option for m0n0wall or pfsense? I'd like to move to a clientless means of connecting to my office. I'm finding too many places that block ports, keeping PPTP from working.

Michael

Have not seen a browser based SSL VPN on a *nix distro 'cept for Untangle..and that's in the paid for "Pro" version.

Only freebie open sourced one I've seen is stand alone box...SSL Explorer.

Wow, thatSSL explorer looks like a pretty good product, though I've never used it personally.

I've had really good success with Watchguard's SSL appliance line. It's got some citrix mojo so you can publish apps without the need for a full citrix deployment or gateway solution.

Wow, thatSSL explorer looks like a pretty good product, though I've never used it personally.

I've had really good success with Watchguard's SSL appliance line. It's got some citrix mojo so you can publish apps without the need for a full citrix deployment or gateway solution.

Yeah it's pretty cool...especially considering the price. I built a quick box to test it out a couple of years ago.

For clients I use Junipers SSL appliances....but I think this OP here is looking for a freebie add-on for his *nix router.

It might be possible to install SSL Explorer on a m0n0wall PC, though I would be sure to back up what you're currently using.

I used SSL Explorer for a long time, up until I bought a Cisco ASA for my home. I loved the service, though it might be a bit complicated to set up/use, it works amazingly well for a free product.

Just a quick plug also for Netgear. Their ProSafe SSL312 is a nice simple box that works very reliably.

Perhaps I should start another thread, but it's this thread that got me looking.

We have a SonicWALL Aventail EX-750 at work, £2000+ for 10 users I think.
Dont get me wrong, it's great, been a lifesaver.

But a Netgear for about £300-400 range was mentioned above and I've now seen a Billion BiGuard 10 for the £250 range. Didn't think they were available this cheap, and there are some less.

We use Terminal services through it and file access basically.
Why such a price range difference, what does the Aventail class box do for 10 users that a Netgear/Billion wont!

Hmmm.
J

Draytek Vigor router range - SSL VPN

Hi All,

I've been checking the reviews and I see very little here on the Draytek Vigor routers which I consider the most feature rich and innovative small business products available out there.

If you are looking for SSL VPN consider the Vigor 2930Vn - it's got just about every feature you could want in Dual WAN, pre-N router, 30 channel SSL, SSl Proxy. 100 channel LAN-LAN, 100 channel Tele-worker. Load balance and backup on WAN and VPN. Content management, VLAN, VoIP etc. etc.

The great thing is that they have routers to match almost any requirement, so you can go through the range and choose the features that you need, I mean anything from a residential ADSL router through to Hotel triple play solutions, they are all there.

Another plus is that the units are rock solid in use provided there are no power fluctations. We've been deploying on remote sites for 3 years now, with no problems unless the client refuses to install UPS.

The last review I could find here of a Draytek product was in 2004, yet these routers rock and I doubt if any of the routers listed here can match them for price / feature.

Best regards

DerekG

Hi DerekG,
We haven't looked at Draytek much because they are not that big a brand in the U.S.
We also haven't been approached by them since 2005...

For inexpensive SSL routers, also look at the Linksys RVL200.

Hi Tim,

I do understand that Draytek is not the biggest manufacture, but just google and you'll find someone selling the unit.

I did read through the linked review & as you said at the final page quote
But I'd like to see Linksys combine the strengths of the RVL200, RVS4000, and RV042 into a single product. In my opinion, an SSL VPN router with gigabit LAN ports, dual WAN connections and multiple Gateway-to-Gateway tunnel capacity would be a very cool product.
That is what the Draytek does, making it suitable for the head office side, plus there are now VPN wizzards that make the whole process just simple.

Check out the web demo admin page to start with at:
http://www.draytek.com/demo/Vigor2930/index.htm

I would recommend that you contact Draytek, they'll surely provide you with a demo unit for your review.

Rgs

DerekG

I agree. Draytek routers are hands down the best and feature-rich routers I've ever had the pleasure to install...