What's new

Stable ASUS ZenWifi AX (XT8) Firmware

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

deutsaz

New Around Here
Hello - could anyone confirm what a stable version of firmware is. I believe I am on the current firmware and it is a disaster. Connection drops, backhaul works on 5GHz then randomly drops to 2.4GHz. Flashing blue light on one of my nodes, that requires a factory reset to get it to work. Just about ready to throw the whole thing in bin.

Many Thanks

Simon

Current firmware version means nothing. Please be specific.

Hello - could anyone confirm what a stable version of firmware is. I believe I am on the current firmware and it is a disaster. Connection drops, backhaul works on 5GHz then randomly drops to 2.4GHz. Flashing blue light on one of my nodes, that requires a factory reset to get it to work. Just about ready to throw the whole thing in bin.

Many Thanks

Simon
Hi Simon,
I also own an XT8 network, and I'm running the GNUton fork firmware. So far, it's been rock solid. I recommend you upgrade to it. The current version is 386.07_2-gnuton1

I'm using the latest, 49873, and it has been solid. No problems, 160MHz. wide backhaul channel, no disconnects, no drops of the backhaul to 2.4GHz., no flashing blue lights during normal operation, etc.

When you go to the remote node using the Asus Router smart phone app, what does it show for the connection between the router and remote node? Backhaul dropping to 2.4GHz. may indicate that the nodes are too far apart. When I look at that, I see that the connection quality is "Great", and the strength is -64dBm...the backhaul signal strength at the remote node here varies between -58dBm to about -64dBm.

Anyways, I'd suggest not allowing any of the channel selections or channel widths to be auto. Start with picking a channel on 2.4GHz., with a channel width of 20MHz. And pick a channel for the 5GHz-1 and 5GHz.-2 radios. For channel width on 5GHz-1, leave it on 20/40/80, channel 44 is a good one here. For 5GHz-2, I enable 160MHz., using channel 149 as the control channel. This gives me 160MHz. backhaul, using the UNII-4 channels. If you want to be more stable to start with, you can disable 160MHz., and just use channel 157 or whichever one works for you as your control channel...and again, leave the 20/40/80 channel width selection. When you look at the wireless log, it will show you how things are connecting, with what channel widths, length of time for each connection, etc. A good way to get an idea of what's going on with your wi-fi devices. The backhaul is there, too, of course, so you can look at what it's currently doing, as well as how long it's been doing it.

I also separate the 2.4GHz. and 5GHz. client radios into two separate SSID's, rather than just using one. That seems to work better here, as well as allowing the few IoT devices that I have to definitely be put on 2.4GHz.

These settings work for me, like I said 49873 has been solid for me for about a month. Everything's working great, including the two new Nest security cameras...they're on 2.4GHz.

I'm using the latest, 49873, and it has been solid. No problems, 160MHz. wide backhaul channel, no disconnects, no drops of the backhaul to 2.4GHz., no flashing blue lights during normal operation, etc.

When you go to the remote node using the Asus Router smart phone app, what does it show for the connection between the router and remote node? Backhaul dropping to 2.4GHz. may indicate that the nodes are too far apart. When I look at that, I see that the connection quality is "Great", and the strength is -64dBm...the backhaul signal strength at the remote node here varies between -58dBm to about -64dBm.

Anyways, I'd suggest not allowing any of the channel selections or channel widths to be auto. Start with picking a channel on 2.4GHz., with a channel width of 20MHz. And pick a channel for the 5GHz-1 and 5GHz.-2 radios. For channel width on 5GHz-1, leave it on 20/40/80, channel 44 is a good one here. For 5GHz-2, I enable 160MHz., using channel 149 as the control channel. This gives me 160MHz. backhaul, using the UNII-4 channels. If you want to be more stable to start with, you can disable 160MHz., and just use channel 157 or whichever one works for you as your control channel...and again, leave the 20/40/80 channel width selection. When you look at the wireless log, it will show you how things are connecting, with what channel widths, length of time for each connection, etc. A good way to get an idea of what's going on with your wi-fi devices. The backhaul is there, too, of course, so you can look at what it's currently doing, as well as how long it's been doing it.

I also separate the 2.4GHz. and 5GHz. client radios into two separate SSID's, rather than just using one. That seems to work better here, as well as allowing the few IoT devices that I have to definitely be put on 2.4GHz.

These settings work for me, like I said 49873 has been solid for me for about a month. Everything's working great, including the two new Nest security cameras...they're on 2.4GHz.
I just set it up the above settings.

I also keep getting that the backhaul drops in 2.4GHz after a few days.

When I give everything a restart than it is running back in 5GHz but after a couple of days it is back in 2.4GHz.

I don't understand why it runs on 5GHz and after x days it goes back in 2.4GHz and why it is not going automatic back in 5GHz connection.

I am using firmware: 386.07_2-gnuton1

I just set it up the above settings.

I also keep getting that the backhaul drops in 2.4GHz after a few days.

When I give everything a restart than it is running back in 5GHz but after a couple of days it is back in 2.4GHz.

I don't understand why it runs on 5GHz and after x days it goes back in 2.4GHz and why it is not going automatic back in 5GHz connection.

I am using firmware: 386.07_2-gnuton1

Haven't used GNUton's firmware, I'm using the latest Asus firmware, as I said, and that's working well for me. The question that I'd like to ask you, though is what does the Asus Router smart phone app tell you about the strength of the connection between the router and your remote node? For me, RSSI is usually around -60dBM, and the adjective used is "Great" *smile*. By the way, you'll see that information when you tap the remote node in the Router app home screen. The remote node signal strength that the ZenWiFi router node sees is at the top of the page that comes up.

It sounds like you might be right on the margin for the backhaul connection, since it works okay for a while, then at some point needs to drop down to the stronger 2.4GHz. band connection. Experimenting with the remote node placement might help you out, just a thought.

Hi,

I checked my RSSI with the app and it is 74 dBm for the moment it is green and it says okay

At that level, I'd be looking for alternatives, like different node placement, or even wired backhaul. Yes, it's okay now, but wireless is variable, it will drop in strength, and your backhaul will drop back to 2.4GHz to make up for that. I'm willing to bet that's what your seeing.

If you can't get a better backhaul connection by changing where the nodes are, I'd suggest looking at an ethernet cable connection between the nodes for backhaul. If you can't do that, then consider MoCA for wired backhaul...if you have cable TV coax in your walls.