What's new

Stable mesh system with dedicated wireless backhaul

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Joners

Occasional Visitor
I've finally had enough of the XT8's, I've currently got four of them, two with dedicated wireless backhaul and one cabled in. Ive tried every different firmware released and found one or two that were stable(ish) but still required weekly reboots and suffered with IoT and Apple Devices. I don't have an option to run more cables, MOCA and Powerline adaptors also aren't an option.

I'm looking for some recommendations for a mesh system that has dedicated wireless backhaul, WiFi 6, and ideally a web UI rather than just an app for management. Above all I want them to work and be reliable.

Can anyone recommend anything that is stable. Id been looking at the EERO Pro 6's but i dont like the idea of just managing them from an Amazon App.

Before throwing in the towel on your XT8 mesh, try GNUton's customized firmware release. I've been using the GNUton 386.07_2-gnuton1 firmware since its release back in August of 2022. 386.07_2-gnuton1 is a fork from the Merlin firmware releases, and it has been rock solid stable for my 3 node XT8 mesh. You can find the firmware here: https://github.com/gnuton/asuswrt-merlin.ng/releases/tag/386.07_2-gnuton1

You need to download the release for RT-AX95Q (which is the actual model number for the XT8). Follow the standard firmware upgrade process and you should be fine.

... I've been using the GNUton 386.07_2-gnuton1 firmware since its release back in August of 2022. 386.07_2-gnuton1 is a fork from the Merlin firmware releases, and it has been rock solid stable ...

Ditto. "up 87 days, 12:47" a moment ago.

Edit: I'd loaded the first Asus 388 official release but didn't like the lesser ssh experience, so reverted.

Ditto. "up 87 days, 12:47" a moment ago.

Ditto what? You don't even run AiMesh and your routers are wired.

Have run as (wired) mesh and currently as wired router/AP. I don't recall any stability issues anywhere along the way, though haven't done extensive testing of varied combinations/setups.

This thread is about "mesh" with dedicated wireless backhaul. What's your experience with wireless AiMesh when running Asuswrt-Merlin fork?

Last edited:
What about "currently running as router/AP" and in last 87 days? Is this wireless AiMesh or something else?

What's your experience with wireless AiMesh when running Asuswrt-Merlin fork?
You got me: none. But have run mesh with it, and the 5-2 radios have been rock solid, so I have every expectation they'd behave sublimely as a backhaul.

Reset the routers to default and try finding the node wirelessly with main router running GNUton's fork. Follow the official Asus AiMesh setup guide. I'm sure you are going to come back here with questions why it's not working and how to fix.

I'm sure you are going to come back here with questions

You're right, he will! I should have mentioned that to get the nodes to join after reset and fork install he will need to use an ethernet connection for the primary to see the node. Once joined though, the wireless backhaul works beautifully.

Before throwing in the towel on your XT8 mesh, try GNUton's customized firmware release. I've been using the GNUton 386.07_2-gnuton1 firmware since its release back in August of 2022. 386.07_2-gnuton1 is a fork from the Merlin firmware releases, and it has been rock solid stable for my 3 node XT8 mesh. You can find the firmware here: https://github.com/gnuton/asuswrt-merlin.ng/releases/tag/386.07_2-gnuton1

You need to download the release for RT-AX95Q (which is the actual model number for the XT8). Follow the standard firmware upgrade process and you should be fine.
Thanks for the suggestion but I’m not looking for a custom firmware based solution. I’ve been down that route many times in the past, for the minute I’m looking for a new hardware.

In the same search boat as you. I've used Eero in the past--and even though the app and customization is limited, I have had a decent experience. Although in this current era of tech and privacy, I can't help but feel a little uneasy at all the data Amazon is gathering while using their router. For this reason I'm staying away from them.

You guys don't have much of a choice in App and WebUI options. Most home "mesh" systems are made for people with minimum networking knowledge and seems like WebUI settings are on the way out in favor of App management. TP-Link Deco is also good system, but "easy button" type with App and many don't offer WebUI settings. Many don't even have separate SSIDs option - automatic band steering with single SSID. I have installed two so far for friends who don't know what an IP is and both systems work surprisingly well. One Deco M4 (2-pack for $100, wireless backhaul) and recently one Deco X50 (2-pack for $150, wired backhaul). I didn't even check if they have WebUI because the owners will never use it anyway. Both were set using the App in less then 10min time and I never heard about any issues. The wireless one is on 100Mbps ISP and clients are getting full speed everywhere. The wired on is on Gigabit ISP and AX clients are getting up to 850Mbps from both main and node. Price $100 and $150, remember? Okay, got them on sale.

Just to post an update. I went with a UniFi option.

UniFi Dream Machine
2 x U6 Mesh APs
1 x U6 Lite AP
2 x Flex Mini Switches

So far it’s been far more stable. Not the cheapest option out there but given that I work from home having a stable network is important.

Just to post an update. I went with a UniFi option.

UniFi Dream Machine
2 x U6 Mesh APs
1 x U6 Lite AP
2 x Flex Mini Switches

So far it’s been far more stable. Not the cheapest option out there but given that I work from home having a stable network is important.
Do you mean the UniFi Dream Pro? Because the UniFi Dream Machine is Wifi5 only.
Wired backhaul? thought no cables possible?

Doh, I mean the UniFi Dream Router…. I’m not keen on UniFi naming formats.
So the U6 Mesh APs are powered by ethernet or an andapter but have a wireless backhaul?
Sorry Im not familiar with the UniFi products either but your problem statement said no cables.

So the U6 Mesh APs are powered by ethernet or an andapter but have a wireless backhaul?
Sorry Im not familiar with the UniFi products either but your problem statement said no cables.
They come with POE injectors which power the U6s. UniFi doesn’t do dedicated wireless backhaul in the same way ASUS did but the mesh is all run over the 5GHz.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!