What's new

Stable router for office use, budget 150USD? Help.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

stefaneriksson

New Around Here
Hello!

Could you guys please recommend me a router that is for office use, not home networking.
I have understand the office products is much more stable than the home products.

Dont need wireless.
Internet connection speed is 1 Gbps.

What is the best I could get? =))

Thank you very much.

Hello!

Could you guys please recommend me a router that is for office use, not home networking.
I have understand the office products is much more stable than the home products.

Dont need wireless.

Thank you very much.

Might start here: https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/tools/rankers/router/ranking/Wired/rev10/391 . Avoid cisco. An edgerouter pro running vyatta is the most stable. Followed by an x86 homemade linux router, followed by an x86 homemade openwrt router: https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/201...build-faces-better-tests-tougher-competition/ . Someone in your office can easily take an old intel x86 computer, put a gigabit ethernet card into it(for 2 interfaces). Put your favorite operating system on it, then virtualization software of your choice, then put x86 openwrt into a virtual machine. Attach any gigabit switch. This computer can also run other programs like NAS, server, anything you like, since x86 openwrt takes very little ram memory.
Lycka till !

I run a Cisco RV340 router at home without any problems, like no reboots nothing it just runs silently in the back ground. It never gives me any problems. I have an old Cisco RV320 router at my daughter's real estate office which has 15 people working every day. I never have to mess with it either but I upgraded the old RV320 router firmware a few months ago as Cisco still supports it. It will probably limit out around 300 to 400 meg speed. The RV340 router will handle a gig connection but I don't have gig as it is not offered where I am.

Hello!

Dont need wireless.

Thank you very much.
I run a Mikrotik RB3011UiAS-RM which runs stable as a rock. Once set up correctly, you don't even notice that it is there. It can easily handle 1GBps speeds.

even office routers can be unstable too, such as the various outdated VPN routers still around.
I do vouch for mikrotik being stable as long as the PSU is. The only 2 things that mikrotik suffers from are PSUs, and in some cases crashes because of some tools built into the router. One even told me that their CCR crashes because someone spammed smtp as they were blocking it, so i had to lecture the guy about its architecture, though from my experience of stress testing mikrotik, i dont get crashes or reboots from overloading the CPU, as long as i keep the management interface separate as it doesnt crash, just times out and makes it difficult to get back to. Also make sure you get a mikrotik routerboard with at least 128MB of onboard flash, its easy to brick one as they come with far less storage now so if you upload more packages than the flash can handle you'll brick it.

Still comparing to other solutions it really depends on what you have available.
I'd recommend mikrotik if you have the knowhow to configure it if you are looking for a dedicated router. The quad core ARM based CPU routerboards they have should do 1Gb/s NAT not using hardware (they have dual core ones which wont do that without hardware NAT). Above that you're looking at the CCR1009 which at MUM the guy happily impressed people saying it had 9 cores, though core to core the performance of ARM is a bit lower than Tilera tile for routing (tile being more MIPS like), those 2 will handle 1Gb/s connection with a lot of filtering and qos

If you dont have the knowhow i suggest looking at ubiquiti, pfsense and other similar routers. Ubiquiti speeds are misleading, you have to look at their QoS speeds to get an indication of their software routing performance. pfsense can do more than ubiquiti. I have tried all 3 and i like mikrotik the best as a router but i also did learn quite a lot in order to use it, ubiquiti is decent as an embedded router capable of running things linux can run, just not very good at it, and pfsense is the easiest all in 1 router you can have excluding network storage.

Openwrt is a decent OS but requires the knowhow like with mikrotik.

Software routing speed is important, what sort of office doesnt utilise those added features available in every one of these routers that offer fine grain QoS, filters and even more.