What's new

Stacked routers > would this work?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Raphie

I’m having nearly 30 devices now in the house and part of that is within my studio where I use IPMidi and Dante. This creates a lot of UDP broadcasts and it’s advised to put them on their own vlan or subnet
However my router (AC5300) does not support vlans. So I thought of the following

ISP ROUTER > incoming broadband cable on WAN PORT /wifi off
DHCP ON 192.168.0.1

Asus AC5300 WAN port connected to LAN port 1 of ISP router
WAN IP 192.168.0.10
DHCP ON 192.168.1.1
Wifi and cabled devices via this router get a 192.168.1.xx adress and will have access to internet with 192.168.0.10 as gateway

Asus ac66 WAN port connected to LAN port 2 of ISP router (this is my studio router)
WAN IP 192.168.0.10
DHCP ON 192.168.2.1
Wifi and cabled devices via this router get a 192.168.2.xx adress and will have access to internet with 192.168.0.10 as gateway

the 192.168.2.xx devices now broadcast in their own subnet and are isolated from the rest.

i’ve got 1 network printer connected to the AC66 as well, this will need to be used by the devices on the AC5300 as well, but want to do this with static route in the AC5300
All routers in router mode
will this work?

A static route is not going to get through NAT. You'd have to open the proper port for the printer. The configuration should keep the broadcast traffic local.

ThnX, in in principle the subnet will do it's job masking the broadcasts, keeping them within the 192.168.2xx range but I need to portforward the printer IP + TCP/UDP port on the AC5300 router?

ThnX for clarifying/confirming, I'm a bit of a network noob

You can’t have both downstream routers using the same WAN IP, remember the ISP router will need to know how to direct traffic to one of the other.

Also, unless you do some messy routing work, you will need the downstream routers to present gateway addresses on the relevant downstream subnet.