What's new

StarTech.com Announces WiGig Docking Station

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Julio Urquidi

News Editor
startechlogo.jpg
StarTech.com will be releasing one of the first universal docking stations using Intel’s Wireless Gigabit technology later this year. Targeting early adopters, the new docking station sits between a laptop and WiGig peripherals, providing a fast connection over the 60 GHz spectrum to displays, for example, that support the latest wireless technology.

The docking station will also include a USB-C port as an alternative connection to the WiGig feature, as well as HDMI, DisplayPort, USB 3.0, Gigabit Ethernet and audio connections.

More WiGig products are expected to show up next year, however StarTech’s WiGig docking station will be available as early as Q4 2016. Pricing was not announced.

Last edited:
I recall at an IEEE 802 plenary session (this is where all the various 802 working groups meet - from .11 to .15 to .whatever), and speaking with a guy from Dell - this was one of the application/use cases for 802.11ad...

That was back in 2009 - nice to see it reach fruition as a realized product...

I recall at an IEEE 802 plenary session (this is where all the various 802 working groups meet - from .11 to .15 to .whatever), and speaking with a guy from Dell - this was one of the application/use cases for 802.11ad...

That was back in 2009 - nice to see it reach fruition as a realized product...
Dell had had a WiGig dock for a few years now.

my only hatred of docking stations is that most do not include PCIe slots or even thunderbolt.

Probably for bandwidth reasons.

With USB 3.1 and Thunderbolt 2, this opens up the door to docking station that can be fed with a lot of extra bandwidth for additional applications.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!