What's new

Starting clean.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ScottsoMuni

New Around Here
I'm currently running 386.5_2, I had installed a couple of addons (Entware) and a few others. I'm looking to do a clean install of 386.7_b1. To do a clean install is it just a matter of doing a factory reset and then upgrade to the latest version? Any help / advice would be appreciated, TIA.

eject the drive running entware/addons, flash the firmware and enjoy the update/upgrade.
while not an automagic process, people have worked to make it SUPER easy for users.

No, a clean install is to first flash the firmware you want to try/use, then (afterward) fully reset the router to factory defaults. Then, minimally and manually configure the router to secure it and connect to your ISP. Do not use a saved backup config file to restore any settings.

The WPS Button method is recommended to fully reset the router.

[Wireless] ASUS router Hard Factory Reset | Official Support | ASUS Global

Be sure you pick the method required by your particular model.

Be sure you do not plug in your current amtm-used USB drive after doing the above, before formatting it on a PC with NTFS format, first. Or simply use a new USB drive instead.

When you plug in the new (or freshly formatted) drive, ssh into the router, format the USB to Ext4, w/journaling, create a 10GB swap file and enable the DC disk checker script within amtm.

This is now your clean/fresh starting point.

Last edited:
is it kosher to run usb3 drives on the usb3 port yet? I'm finding it's increasingly difficult to not buy the newer usb

I've been running them as such for a while. It really depends on the router and the specific USB drive/enclosure being used though.

I'm currently running 386.5_2, I had installed a couple of addons (Entware) and a few others. I'm looking to do a clean install of 386.7_b1. To do a clean install is it just a matter of doing a factory reset and then upgrade to the latest version? Any help / advice would be appreciated, TIA.

For a clean install:
unmount/disconnect any USB storage
reboot
upload the firmware
reset the firmware to its default settings
configure the firmware from scratch... do not restore saved settings/defaults of a different firmware/version

Some reading:
Reset FAQ
Reset/Restore
Hard Reset/Restore+Initialize

"Note: WPS reset and UI initialize are the hard reset that will reset to factory default and also clear all the data log for AiProtection, Traffic Analyzer, and Web History." -ASUS

I use the webUI Restore+Initialize... a hard reset.

OE